Recommend a site like flicker but more customizable

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dimme, Dec 25, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

I love flicker and have many photos on the site. I am a pro member and upload my own photography and plus over the last year or so I also scanned countless family photos from the last 50 years. My family is spread out over the country so it's a great way of sharing. Plus for the price it is a excellent value. I do not care for the layout and would like something more elegant. Also I would not mind a custom domain. However I see to setup my own site vis square space is in the neighborhood of $16 a month that's a bit more that the $25 a year I spend on flicker. I looked at smug mug and it looks like for $60 a year I can get what I want. Anyone have any recommendations or comments?

2. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use and like smugmug, and 60 bucks a year to get what you want isn't all that much imo

3. macrumors demi-god

DirtySocks85

500px is pretty new, but starting to look promising, particularly if you're looking for something rather "elegant".

4. macrumors 68020

Hankster

I've used SmugMug for several years and I love it. It fully customizable and it doesn't cost too much. Also, I agree with the second poster. $60/yr to get "everything you want" is very cheap.

We are talking about photography. This is not a cheap interest. $60/yr is only $5 a month, That's about two cups of coffee a month or a combo meal at a fast food restaurant.

While I look for deals as well, I realize photography is not cheap and you need to spend money to get what you want. I have a full subscription to SmugMug and I don't mind spending the money at all since it gives me every custom item I could want :)

5. macrumors member

While I wouldn't call it customizable, I'm also a huge fan of 500px. It's an amazing alternative to Flickr. Way better in my opinion.

6. macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Checkout photium! I use their services and I am a happy camper.

7. macrumors 68020

I would also recommend 500px. I'm not a paying member on there, but I do like the layout over Flickr. It's certainly worth checking out. Plus, you're able to sell your work on there as well (if that is something you wanted to do).

8. macrumors 6502a

I was asking myself the same question as OP, but also do any of these services allow non-members to comment on photos ?