Recommend a Time Tracking App?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by Mac In School, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors 65816

I do a little bit of freelance work, and sometimes need to keep track of the time I spend on projects. Since I don't bill hourly very often, I'm hoping to find something cheap or even free.

I don't mind something that runs from the menu bar, but I'd rather it not be permanently stuck there. Again, I'll use this once or twice a quarter, so I'd rather not have something permanently in the menu bar.

It would also be nice if I could set the rounding. I don't bill to the minute. I round to the nearest 14 minute increment. Something that automatically did this for me when be great.

Finally, I'm looking for something that allows me to easily clear out tasks. I'm test-driving Stone Hill Time Card now. To see how the pie chart looked I did "Test 1" and "Test 2" for a few minutes each. Well, now "Test 1" and "Test 2" appear to be permanent fixtures in my list. In my world, once a project is done, it's done. I don't need to come back to it... Ever.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. thread starter macrumors 65816

Almost forgot...

An option to pause/resume a task is also desired. I don't want one to have to create a separate occurrence of the task if I stop for a minute to fill up my coffee cup. I'd prefer to just pause it then resume it.

3. macrumors regular

TicToc might work for you. You can pause it and delete tasks. If you don't want it on the menu bar you can quit it. As far as rounding goes--not yet although they mention more options in upcoming versions.

http://overcommittedapps.com/tictoc

It's $5 at the App store.

4. macrumors regular

If you have an iPhone or iPad, I would strongly recommend Timemaster http://www.on-core.com I trie dmanybothersvand found this to actually be worth the cash. It does not have a Mac version,mbut it does back up to your computer or DropBox and can email CSV files. It can send invoices Directly from your iOS device. I have been using it for over a year and it keeps getting better-- the support is excellent, too.

5. macrumors member

Check your watch when you start and when you finish, then use textedit to record the time if you need a record of it. I use Numbers and record all my jobs and time in a simple timesheet, then use it to create a invoice. No need to buy anything. There is no difference in your watch timing your labor or a program with a timer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.