Recommend a wireless router....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yg17, Aug 2, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I need a wireless router. It seems every one has iffy reviews. It MUST have 4 ethernet ports as well, so absolutely no AirPort, and I don't want to spend more than 50 bucks.

Thanks

2. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

D-Link is always a solid choice. I've got a DI-624, which can be had for cheap.

3. emaja macrumors 68000

I have a Netgear WGR614 and it works very nicely with my mixed Mac/PC network - and it costs $39.99 right now at Best Buy.

4. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I bought one and it was terrible. I exchanged it for a Linksys WRT54G which hasn't been too much better.

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

lol, that was going to be my recommendation. what didnt you like about it?

6. mdickson macrumors regular

I have a Linksys wireless G and it's been great.

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

same here. excellent router.

8. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

It would just randomly drop connections and would need to be reset all the time.

9. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I have a Dlink its junk. Cant get the mac working on it

10. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Belkin and Netgear claim to be Mac friendly. I have a Belkin ADSL2+ wireless router modem and it works fine.

If you want good speed and range look at getting a MIMO wireless router. Pre-N is attractive as well if you really need range.

I would also advocate waiting until after WWDC because we are well overdue for an upgrade of the Airport Express/Extreme routers. We might see Pre-N ones come out next week.

11. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I think the general trend in these threads is that someone wil recommend a router, after which another person will come around saying its terrible, drops connections, etc.

I used to have an older Linksys Wireless-B router (i forget the model#). I really didn't like it. It dropped its connection every hour or so and was generally unreliable. I now have a Netgear WRT614 as described above. Besides it being a great looking machine, it works perfectly. In the 7 months I've had it, I've only had to reboot it once due to a connection loss. Couldn't be more pleased!

12. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Problem with all the pre-N stuff is that you need to use a seperate wireless card in your mac in order to get the higher throughput speeds. Seeing as the OP is using a powerbook, he only has a wireless-G card in his mac. I wouldn't like having to use another seperate card for my wireless. Just my $0.02!

13. Huskers31 macrumors newbie

I currently have a WGR614, and I've had absolutely nothing but problems. From the day I got it, internet around my house has been sporadic. My main problem is that I have to reset my modem and router every two days because my router makes my modem think theres not a connection to a computer, if that makes any sense:rolleyes: Resetting it always fixes the problem, but it's just a hassle... My G4 powermac gets better signal than my iMac G5, though my iMac is 40 ft and 2 walls closer to the router. I have to reset the iMac's airport card everyday to get some signal. I really want airport extreme, but I'm unsure if it will work with my internet (Earthlink DSL) and my modem (Zyxel). Also, my WGR614 gets hot-I'm talking hotter than MBP hot :p :eek: :(

14. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I just bought this Belkin router last week for $35.99 to replace my Airport Express (RIP). It's been great so far, of course it's only been a week. ;)

15. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

A person access point. A Xirrus array might do it. www.xirrus.com Or I guess maybe its 1000 client capacity might be overkill :rolleyes: who knows

In all seriousness, I'd go with a dlink. i have linksys now (WRT54G) and it is terrible. If i try to have security, it just randomly stops working. grrrrr

16. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

17. bep207 macrumors 6502

18. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i have a d-link with a mac mini, two windows laptops, and a windows desktop hooked up to it. my friend's powerbook hooks up no problem when he's over.

i've never had a problem with it.

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Its been said here already....Linksys Wireless G is the best...excellent range.

Bless

20. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

I m using the same one too. But mine works fine without any rebooting:confused: ?

And yes it does get as hot as my MB. But there`s been no problem otherwise for the last 6-7 months since I got it.

21. Huskers31 macrumors newbie

Really? There must have been an update because after my last post I had to reset the router, and this morning I had to reset it again. I've felt the MBs at the stores in San Francisco and Sacramento, and they're ice-cold compared to the heat being emitted from my router. I haven't even touched my iMac yet, but I'll bet you I'll have to reset its airport as well. BTW, I bought this router when it first came out, and according to cnet.com that was over 3 years ago. Most likely there has been a revision since then...

22. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Yes there are revisions all the time. I have version 6 which i bought just over 8 months ago. I think that's the latest one. It goes to show just how much the different versions differ from eachother as far as reliability goes. Mine never isn't hot either (not even warm). I've rebooted it once since I got it, but even that was caused by an initial connection drop from the DSL modem. It really is very reliable!

23. Huskers31 macrumors newbie

Do you know how to check what revision the router is? Does anyone here have Earthlink DSL and/or the Zyxel modem and use it with an airport extreme base station? Did anyone have the WGR614 and switch to the aiport extreme, and if so, do you think it's a good idea?

Thanks!

24. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

Im on a belkin router, im not sure the exact model number, i believe sum1 above posted it, it has great range, the connection rarely drops, and its 100 times better then that joke of a router I had before "Dlink" that was a waste of money

25. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL