Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shane0mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
alberta, canadia!
Can someone recommend a wireless router for me to use with my new macbook?

I have been looking at Dlink and I'm not looking to spend alot.

Thanks!:cool:

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Agree with the others about the Linksys WRT54G. Good Router.

Netgear has some nice equipment as well.

And don't forget to look at Apple's Airport Extreme or Airport Express solutions. Depending on your needs, one of them may be the best solution for you.

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
If all you need is wireless, get the Airport Express. Not only does it have decent range and is well supported by apple, you can stream music and do wireless printing with it. Pretty cheap as well when you consider the beneifits.

shane0mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
alberta, canadia!
Thanks for the suggestions, i wil look into getting the linksys.
Concerning the 'airport' I need something that will support an other PC that will be on the same connection.

I was looking for something fairly inexpensive, is teh DLink stuff any good? Or am I better off spending more money for the Linksys?

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
Another vote for linksys here, but I do not know that it really matters anymore - in the old days you could experience issues with a mismatched card versus router, but now all that seems to be gone.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
shane0mac said:
I was looking for something fairly inexpensive, is teh DLink stuff any good? Or am I better off spending more money for the Linksys?
Why not check Craigslist if it's available in your area? Routers don't break often, as they have no moving parts, so you might find one for real cheap in the classifieds.

I bought a cable modem on craigslist a few days ago for $20, normally retails new for $75 plus taxes.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
shane0mac said:
Thanks for the suggestions, i wil look into getting the linksys.
Concerning the 'airport' I need something that will support an other PC that will be on the same connection.

The PC on the network won't be a problem. The price however...

I think the Express is twice the cost of the Linksys. I'd still heartily recommend it, though.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
shane0mac said:
How is netgear?

I personally recommend not getting netgear routers. We just had a thread about this a day or two ago...I've had four Netgear routers and the wireless failed on three of them while the fourth one completely failed. I've had great success with Linksys, they build quality stuff.

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
Another wireless virgin here: Along the same line, please

CEAbiscuit said:
If all you need is wireless, get the Airport Express. Not only does it have decent range and is well supported by apple, you can stream music and do wireless printing with it. Pretty cheap as well when you consider the beneifits.

I'm a wireless virgin
i have an emac, printer, scanner and am adding a macbook. will the express also handle the scanner? i was thinking i would have to go to extreme, and i'd love it if i could do with less.
also, can the express use dial-up as well as dsl? girlfriend only has dial-up and when i'm over there...

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
I've never tried connecting a separate scanner.. I've definatley connected an all-in-one printer to the airport express, but never tried scanning.

I do not believe the express handles dial up.

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
netgear, dlink, 2wire, 3com are your best bets
i recently did a instal of an actiontec routers and access points and i may have found a new favorite - their range, reliability and robustness was impressive

stay away from linksys i have seen and experienced too many horror stories

shane0mac

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2006
alberta, canadia!
thank for the info everyone, i bought the linksys wrt54g as it was really inexpensive.
Now that i'm setting it up, whta is the best encryption to use??

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
WPA pre-shared key (TKIP) is easy to setup and is compatible with just about everything these days. Don't use WEP, it's a joke.

Good choice on the router. It will serve you well.

minnesotamacman

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2006
Good choice on the linksys... I have used them much in teh past. I use an Apple Airport Extreme now, and like it better than anything I used before, but again that is about $100 more than you probably spent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.