Recommend ACDsee Equivelent for MAC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ngcomputing, Mar 20, 2005.

1. ngcomputing macrumors newbie

After 18 years of PC'n it, I made the switch a few months back. Only thing I miss is ACDSee for managing my photography work -- I do pro photography and have thousands of images.

Anyways, I've seen Cumulus and a couple others for the MAC, any suggestions? I seriously need features like rotate images based on Exif info, etc. Not into the stock editing features, i use Photoshop for this...just good organization. Batch file renaming etc.

thanks,

ngcomputing.]

2. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Don't really know ACDSee, but won't iPhoto do the job for managing photos?

3. mthangbk macrumors newbie

4. live4ever macrumors 6502a

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Isn't there also one called GraphicConverter, that comes with powerbooks and PMs, that a number of people here use? Lemme look for the link...I think this is it: http://www.lemkesoft.de/en/graphcon.htm

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Between iPhoto and ACDSee for the Mac, I don't need anything else for my photo needs. :cool:

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what exactly does ACDSee do that iPhoto and Photoshop don't? What does it offer?

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think a lot of people have uses for scripted conversions of format / image size. But just you wait till Automator comes out! :D

But I've decided to go iPhoto and PS. I just ordered PS Elements 3. :) I like GIMP, and it is amazing for OSS, but I'm sick of little things like flipping back and forth between X and Aqua, and the font crash bug. Also I tried out the automatic enhance tool on PSE and I was really amazed at how well it works. :)

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

ACDSee dopes more than iPhoto, but less than PS. :p ;)

It has more editing features than iPhoto, but is not as much of a pro app as PhotoShop...

10. ngcomputing thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, it's been a while since I visited there site. I'll check into it, I can upgrade my v6 to a Mac version hopefully. Be nice if they had a version that stripped out the image editing, to make it a bit lighter, I just like the organization features esp when cataloging across dvd's and a network. :rolleyes:

11. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

I love graphic converter - for slideshows and naming files... and leaving my files in the folders I wan't - unlike iPhoto which I found extremly annoying. And the great bonus with graphic converter is that it probably came with your machine...

A

12. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

There are a few specific things that ACDSee for Windows did, that I miss on my Mac (even on the Mac version of ACDSee):

1. Load pictures *FAST*. I mean, blazingly fast. Large camera pictures take a few seconds to load on my Powerbook in any app (Preview, iPhoto) but ACDSee could load them in a split second. It also did other tricks to help the perception of speed like pre-load the next image while you were viewing the first one. In browse mode, it could thumbnail your entire directory in just a few seconds. I did actually see one program on the Mac that loaded images just as fast, but it cost something like $300... forget it.

2. Browse an entire directory of photos by just opening one of them. I.e. ACDSee was set to be my default viewer for image files. I would open a folder containing a bunch of images. Double-click on the first one (or any one) to view it. Up it came (very quickly, might I add). If I want to browse every other photo in the folder, I can now simply press PageUp/PageDn, and start scrolling through them all.

To do this in GraphicConverter or Preview I need to either manually enter the "Browser" mode, or select-all/open-all from the Finder.

iPhoto is getting close, but it's still not there speed-wise, nor do I like the idea of having it control where all my pictures are.

13. ngcomputing thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

At this point I've checked out Portfolio, but, when importing photos into the catalog it won't auto-rotate images based on exif info. I have to admit, beyond that, it's pretty well streamlined.

I'm looking seriously at Cumulus though, with great support for RAW files, ICM support, full access to exif info and half the cost of Portfolio, it looks like a winner. Now, if it will only rotate those thumbnails that I import automatically. I have about 10K+ or so images I need to catalog and I don't want to manually rotate them. ugh.

Btw, ACDSee is not available for MAC, I just checked.

14. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

15. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Even though you've been disproved several times already, just thought I'd chime in as well to tell you that you're incorrect, as I use your supposed non-existent software on a regular basis. :p ;)

16. Flickta macrumors 6502

Yes!!! Right you are. I am a life-long Mac user, but I still feel like a person working with a programmable calculator when it comes to viewing images. These two points you mention are a must-have. And, guess what, Mac users do not have an app of that kind. It's a shame. And iPhoto (As well as iDVD and iMovie) is s**t. iApps are slow as hell. Argh!