Recommend cheap sound system for TV?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by margotspop, Jan 5, 2005.

1. margotspop macrumors regular

I've just finished redoing the TV room and as much as I'd like to put in a nice surround system, the wife just thinks it's a waste of money. So can anyone recommend a good/cheap alternative? I'm thinking of something that wouldn't require a separate receiver - something along the lines of an excellent set of computer speakers that could be used for TV and would be a major improvement over the TV speakers. Around $150? (Alternatively, I could buy a refurbished Onkyo receiver ($150) and match it with a pair of bookshelf speakers. Anyone recommend any bookshelf speakers?)

Many thanks

2. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Logitech Z-5500 streets for US$300. I know that MacInTouch.com has had many reviews on speakers over that past few months.

3. margotspop thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip. They look great and by all accounts, sound great. The wireless remote control is certainly a must-have.

4. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

If your total budget is around $300, you can get much more than just the receiver + a pair of bookshelf speakers. The refurbished Onkyo receiver is probably a good buy. But I'd take it one step further and look for a refurbished "Home Theater in a Box" set from Onkyo. I got the HT-S760 (6.1 surround, receiver + 6 speakers + subwoofer + stands for the front speakers, 4 A/V inputs, etc) refurbished from Onkyo about 2 months ago for $290 plus tax. It looked like it hadn't even been opened, much less used and "refurbished." The system has been awesome, and it was an incredible steal at that price.

Take a look at http://www.shoponkyo.com/catalog.cfm?id=3 towards the bottom. They have a HT-S570 system (5.1 surround) for $219. I haven't heard that particular system, but I love the way mine sounds and Onkyo has a pretty good reputation for quality. Something to consider. ;)

5. margotspop thread starter macrumors regular

Bankshot - that could be just what I'm looking for; not too expensive but with enough Ooomph. Now to convince the wife...wish me luck!

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Look at the Logitech Z640, I think i paid $50 or $60 for them. Was very surprised when i opened the box and hooked them up. How they could make a profit on selling them so cheap i dont know but they sound pretty darn good for being cheap. iam very happy with them. check them out because for $50 bucks i dont think you can find anything that comes close. comes with subwoofer and 4 satillites and 1 center speaker. I have been thinking of a second set just for my Tv room.

7. margotspop thread starter macrumors regular

Well that was the kind of thing that I was looking for. However, the way my TV works, is that if I'm using separate speakers I have to control the volume through that sound source - not through the TV. If these don't come with a Remote Control (and I do't think they do) I'd have no way to control the volume except by getting up and down to do it manually. Am I right?

8. margotspop thread starter macrumors regular

Bought the Onkyo HT-S570 today @$209. Thanks to everyone for their advice.