Recommend me an ADSL Modem/Router (UK)?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dhc, Feb 21, 2007.

1. dhc macrumors regular

After 2 years of pretty reliable service, my D-Link DSL 300T has just about given up the ghost (keeps dropping out, loses password, won’t reconnect), so I need a new modem.

I’ve not really got a preference between wired or wireless, but it would need to be compatible with the two Airport Express units which provides a network to 3 Macs (all running Tiger).

I’d like to replace my ailing D-Link ASAP, and (as much as it would buck my self imposed embargo) will be passing a PC World on the way home from work tonight – anyone care to recommend a good modem/router from PC world? (or point me to a good alternative from a <speedy> online source?)

Cheers

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

just bought the Netgear "RangeMax" DG834PN wireless router after my Belkin broke. I have been using it for a few weeks and the signal quality is great! It is also a very good looking machine. Can't really find any cons so far!

3. dhc thread starter macrumors regular

Just an update for anyone else in a similar situation - I stopped in at PC world and bought a Netgear 'Range Max' DG834N. In store, this was priced at £129, but they agreed to match their web price of £85 - this kind of mark up is outrageous!

The modem set up wasn't hard, but I can't seem to use my two Airport Express units to extend the range of the network - can this only be done with exclusively Airport networks? (EDIT- Scratch that question - found an answer)

Also, as this modem is draft 'N', I don't know if this will be a problem with the newer Mac hardware?