Recommend my config for new imac (photo/music)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cloud9, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Cloud9 macrumors regular

Aug 10, 2005
    between flesh and thought
    So I am going to buy an iMac soon to do photoediting and maybe video editing, but thats not even close right now.

What config do you recomend? Processor speed, screen size, video card ect. I dont want to buy a maxed out imac if its not necesary but I dont want to to regret a my purchase. Do I need 2.33 ghz for example, would I notice it? Which video card is right for me? I dont play games, but I dont want lag when using photoshop or lightroom. 500 gigs seems more fitting as a backup drive not a main drive.

I compose music as a hobby now and then. Will logic express 7 that i run on my powerbook run faster on an intel imac even under rossetta? My assumption is that it would despite emulation, but everyone seems to hate rosetta. I wont be purchasing UB Logic, for atleast 3 years and it would be nice to use the imac for music right away.

2. daneoni macrumors G4

Mar 24, 2006
    Two options i would consider, the 20" iMac with 2GB RAM/2.33GHz processor or the 24" iMac again 2GB RAM/2.33GHz processor and the 7600GT card.

However the consensus i gather is that ATI cards have the edge in the Apple range in terms of performance. Freankly i'd go with the maxed out 20"