Recommend Some Good Jazz Music

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by iLikeMyiMac, Sep 5, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I recently got into listening to the music of Miles Davis and John Coltrane. Can anybody recommend other good artists or songs to listen to?

2. macrumors 603

wordmunger

I'm very partial to Chick Corea and Thelonious Monk.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

4. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

5. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Just found a new release featuring my favorite drummer, Paul Motian, with pianist Enrico Pieranunzi. Doorways. More of a 'free-jazz' vibe.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I bought double excursion 2, doorways, and no waltz for paul from the doorways album.
    They're good songs. Thanks for the recommendation.

7. macrumors 68000

Loge

Some modern jazz I recommend

Al di Meola - guitar
    Keith Jarrett - piano
    Jan Garbarek - saxophone
    Stan Getz - saxophone
    John Surman - saxophone/clarinet
    Stanley Clarke - bass guitar

8. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have two Bad Plus albums, and they both kick as$. Not really jazz....well, sort of, but not really. There are jazz elements, but its not something my grandfather listens to. They're a bit loud.

9. macrumors 6502

continuum

I've heard some Bad Plus. They're cool. I'm a bass player so I listen to Jaco Pastorius a good bit. His first studio album (self titled) is incredible. There are some rare/hard to find albums out there with him too such as Twins I & II Live from Japan and of course there are the Live in NYC bootlegs. If you can get your hands on the re-release of Joni Mitchell's Shadows and Light album/DVD, you'll probably enjoy that. I have the DVD which I got through Audiophile Imports. They are based out of Maryland and shipped in the DVD for me from Japan. Great customer service and a HUGE jazz collection. So, this DVD has Joni Mitchell singing, Jaco playing bass, Pat Metheny on guitar, Michael Brecker on sax, Lyle Mays on keys and Don Alias on drums. Excellent performance and crazy wacky clothes. It's from the 80s.

10. macrumors 6502a

Vector

Here are the main Jazz artists that i listen to.

Miles Davis
    Charlie Parker
    Herbie Hancock
    John Coltrane
    Thelonious Monk
    Cannonball Adderly
    Ella Fitzgerald
    Nina Simone
    Louis Armstrong

11. macrumors 6502

continuum

Oh yeah, Dennis Chambers, Lincoln Goines and Mike Stern are a good trio if your into fusion.

12. macrumors 6502a

wowser

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue / On The Corner
    Stan Getz - Yours and Mine (Live in Glasgow)
    Dexter Gordon - Go!
    Dave Brubeck - Time Out

Awesome CDs, as like you I have just started getting into jazz

13. macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

this thread is a couple of days old, but i wanted to weigh in...

"old" jazz
    "time out" is a great album. i think it's brubeck's best.

anything by Nina Simone. "Mississippi Goddamn" is one hell of a tune.

i'm a big fan of Louis Jordan. he's not really jazz, more like the big-band/jazz pop that was floating around in the 40's and 50's, but "azure te" is a solid jazz ballad.

stan getz did some cool stuff (one album i'm fond of is "groovin' high", a live set). same for herbie hancock and the other elder statesmen (charlie parker, john coltrane, miles davis, rosemary clooney, les paul) i'm big on them, too.

some fusion stuff
    it's not everyone's cup of tea- the bad variety ends up as background music at jc penney- but there were some really interesting things done with jazz with more diverse arrangements, modern instrumentation and such. good examples:

new york voices
    chick corea
    the crusaders
    larry carlton

throwback
    john pizzarelli is one of the few throwback jazz guys i really like. i saw him on the tonight show a few years back, and his chops are jaw dropping. he usually plays with a trio (him on guitar/vocals, a piano and a bass), but he put one album out with a big band ("our love is here to stay"). i think "kisses in the rain" is an incredible document.

14. macrumors 68040

cluthz

A few I would recommend

I recently got Pat Metheny and Charie Haden: Missoiuri Sky.
    It's great, soft guitarbased jazz, gets you in a good mood.

I'm also a big fan of Eumir Deodato and jazzfusion like Mahavishnu Orchestra.
    There are tons of great jazz out there!
    If you're into electronick jazz, listen to Jaga Jazzist!!!!
    Heard that Jan Garbarek was mentioned, he's great , ut som of the earlier stuff is a bit avantgarde.. I would recomend to get ssomething from when he played with Bobo Stenson Quartet ex the Wichi-tai-too album.

15. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Victor Wooten.
    Jacko Pastorius.
    Herbie Hancock.

16. macrumors 68040

cluthz

Who is Victor Wooten?

Jaco is a legend. I liked the Weather Report era best. (Haven't heard much from his later career, before he was killed)

17. macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

victor has been called the greatest bass player of the century... pick up "a show of hands" his latest solo and you will be awe-struck!!!!

18. Moderator emeritus

yellow

Darn Skippy!!!

19. macrumors regular

Second the Nina Simone recommendation.

Definately try her double cd 'Sing the Blues & Nuff Said'

20. macrumors 6502a

NOBODY SAID CHARLES MINGUS!?!?

Mingus Ah Um

First of an album full of great tunes.

I'd also go with Thelonius Monk, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, and Sonny Rollins. Anybody heard of Poets of Rythm?

21. macrumors 6502a

wowser

I remembered reading this post whilst i was in the record shop today, so i bought Mingus Ah UM - Fantastic!

22. macrumors 6502

continuum

There you go!! I've seen Vic with the Flecktones twice. What a great show. Jaco, gotta love him being a bass player myself. And Herbie, who played on Jaco's debut album, is incredible!

23. macrumors 6502

continuum

has anyone listened to Vic with Bela and the Flecktones? amazing stuff with the time signature changes and the grooves. i have a video of vic at a bass day show in NYC.. he jams with his brothers and they do a cover of return to forever. it's pretty tight. later, oteil burbridge (aquarium rescue unit, vida blue, allman brothers) comes out and jams on his 6 string bass with them.

24. macrumors member

Yes... I tend to agree that Victor Wooten is one of the best jazz/funk bass players out there... Stan Clarke and Marcus Miller are also great. I'm personally a bass player... so I listen to these guys a lot. I like Jaco a lot too....I watched Wooten and his brothers' concert twice, and it was the most entertaining concert I've ever seen. These guys can just jam for hours...After seeing Victor played, I just lost hope on improving my bass skill... he's THAT good.

Anyway, besides Miles Davis, Coltrane, Mingus, Monk, and Parker, I highly recommend a genre of jazz that's not really popular in US, namely acid jazz. Artists like Incognito & N'Dea Davenport are really great...

If you really wanna be open-minded, you should listen to Krakatau. They are a progressive Indonesian band that combine traditional gamelan and upbeat jazz on some of their songs... really really great stuff, IMHO. I can't recommend it highly enough. Of course, some lyrics are in Indonesian... and some are instrumental.....

Enjoy!!!! :D

25. macrumors newbie

Jimmy Smith is a great blues/jazz listen. Also, the newly-released Medeski Martin and Wood album "End of the World Party (Just In Case)" is good. I've heard good things about the new Ray Charles release as well.