Recommend Speakers for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by seanf, Aug 8, 2006.

1. seanf macrumors 6502

Hello,

I will be purchasing my mac pro shortly and want to get some speakers at the same time. I want to be able to listen to music and watch DVDs. Can anyone recommend something for me?

I'm also confused by the Optical digital audio/Analog stereo line-level input and output - an explanation would be fantastic!

Thanks

Sean :)

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Depends on your budget.

At the cheapest end you can just jack in a pair of analog powered monitors to the Mac Pro. e.g. the $150 M-Audio DX4. There are lots of other options, but I think sonically this is among the best of the bunch for the money although not visually the most attractive speakers on this planet.

The other alternative is to squirt the digital signal into a home theater receiver and put together a 2.1 / 5.1 system around your Mac. Digital surround speaker packages are also available from different manufacturers such as Logitech.

For more 'serious' two-channel use you can take a digital feed from the Mac and put it through a superior digital-to-analogue converter (DAC) than that in the Mac to come up with a better analog signal, then feed it out to powered monitors. All sorts of possiblities here - from the affordable $300 Headroom Micro DAC to the likes of the $5000 Reimyo DAP-777, combined with whatever powered monitors or speaker/amp package you want to use.

The hybrid analog/digital sockets on the Macs are simple. If you want to use optical connections, you use mini-TOSLINK connectors like the transparent plug show below. The plug assembly shown below is actually a mini-TOSLINK converter plug fitted onto a regular TOSLINK plug (the black part). If you want to use analog, then you use regular 3.5mm plugs. Both fit in the same socket.

Attached Files:

3. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

does the optical audio output imply support for system more than 2.1, aka ie 4.1, of course, w/ appropriate software... or should there be more hardware involved?

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

In DVD mode for example, 5.1 output via digital is supported.

5. waynesun macrumors regular

waynesun

If youre broke/afraid to approach the border of being broke from purchasing a Mac Pro, i suggest Logitech Z-4's. I'm no audio expert, but they sound great. Circuit city has a 50.00 rebate for them, bringing the MSRP down to 50.00 from 100.

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Digital speakers will allow for surround sound and the quality is a little higher. Get some digital surround speakers and play a DVD — theater quality sound! (YMMV depending on what speakers you get of course)

I really hate the Logitech Z-4's, and most of Logitech's other cheap 2.1 speakers for that matter (even the Z-2200's). But you get what you pay for... I just ordered these for myself in anticipation of my Mac Pro purchase. Every time I've heard them in stores they've blown away the other similar 2.1 speakers, THX certified or not:

[​IMG]
    http://www.alteclansing.com/product_details.asp?pID=FX6021

7. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

True, these speakers look awesome together with an ACD, if you're gonna get that. Also note, that next gen. ACD's might have FR, and it has been reported that the Apple Remote interferes with the volume cotrols of this speaker, so that hitting forward/rewind on the remote will up/down the volume...;)

See:
    [​IMG]

8. seanf thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone

I have ordered an ACD too and they do look good! The Harman Kardon Soundsticks II and JBL Creature IIs seem to be very popular and both are good looking. Decisions, decisions ...

9. Jopling macrumors 6502

10. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Cool, what size did you get? 30"?:D nah, but though I like the look and sound of The Creatures II's, I still like these better (saw/heard them in an Apple Store). I don't care for soundsticks at all. BTW, these are sattelite speakers, which means you can be nearly free of cable clutter...;)

BTW: w00t! Post nr. 1000!:cool:

11. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

12. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I heard that too. I figure, the Mac Pros/ACDs don't come with an Apple Remote or IR port yet, so at least it won't be a problem for a while. ;) I can always put some duct tape over the port on the speaker control pod (I don't plan on using the speaker remote really).

13. seanf thread starter macrumors 6502

I considered the 30", but couldn't really justify the large price difference between it and the 23".

14. thestaton macrumors 6502

I have the sound sticks II to go with my iMac and I love um! they sound very very good. Before these I had the Klipsh 2.1's and they where nice but these look better and maybe sound a little better if not the same.

15. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Sweet, you'll still have a 1080i compatible display, and IMO the 23" is more than enough, unless your name is iGary...:p