Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Looking to protect my new MBA...

So far deciding between a speck and a kuzy.

Post photos if you've got them too!

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Looking to protect my new MBA...

So far deciding between a speck and a kuzy.

Post photos if you've got them too!

Kuzy excellent (except for fingerprint issues) and at about half the price. Black preferred as prints MUCH less of an issue than on the clear frosted.

Reactions: samcraig

wol

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
Got a Tech21 D30 Impact Jacket Leather Case for my "new" (produced late 2015) MacBook Air 11. Decided to go for leather this time, since all the "hardshell" plastic cases I've used in the past started to splinter and crumble away after about half a year of usage. :)

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
I have a Kuzy Clear Crystal case. Two of them actually... The first one cracked in the corner so they sent me a replacement. The second cracked much worse and a piece is actually missing. I am not rough on my MBA either. I contacted them about this and they basically said "sorry". I asked what they had that was more durable and they referred me to their $35-40 'leatherette' cases.

I'm leaning towards the 'rubberized' ones as well but am going to look at other brands too.

Reactions: samcraig

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Yeah - I assume it just means that it's not slick/"shiny" but rather a bit matted and has a "grip" to it

Exactly! Slightly better than bare though. Have been using both clear and black rubberized versions over the past three years. No cracking issues, however rubber feet don't stay on long.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
I contacted KUZY about my two broken clear covers and mentioned I was considering buying one of the 'rubberized' ones. Their response was:
Please note that the rubberized plastic covers are made from the same material as the crystal clear covers, they are just covered with a rubberized coat of paint to give it a matte finish and a rubberized feel.
That rules out that design case from them. In fact, it eliminates KUZY altogether for me. I liked the case and they replaced it with almost no questions asked (they did ask for photos, which I had already taken, presuming they would want that). But for a 2nd case to break in the same location makes me lose confidence in their design.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I contacted KUZY about my two broken clear covers and mentioned I was considering buying one of the 'rubberized' ones. Their response was:
That rules out that design case from them. In fact, it eliminates KUZY altogether for me. I liked the case and they replaced it with almost no questions asked (they did ask for photos, which I had already taken, presuming they would want that). But for a 2nd case to break in the same location makes me lose confidence in their design.

Mine arrives today... so that ship has sailed. I'll give it a try at least.

harleymhs

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Best Skins Ever . Matte Finish is amazing.. Cant tell there is a skin on it and doesnt make it heavy like a case! Love it!

Reactions: canuckRus

Jyby

Suspended
May 31, 2011
I use a Neoprene case for my MBA. Then I use lysol and a paper towel to clean the computer once and awhile.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I am on my second Speck Hardshell for the AIR and this one needs replacing as well. I would not recommend them. The top piece is still good but the bottom bill keeps failing.

bartvk

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2016
The Netherlands
I am on my second Speck Hardshell for the AIR and this one needs replacing as well. I would not recommend them. The top piece is still good but the bottom bill keeps failing.
Yep, I have read the same problem. For the price and brand, I would have expected better.
[doublepost=1484477620][/doublepost]
I always felt cases were bad for cooling and ventilation issues.

I hate hot laptops so I actually tested this by putting my MBA on a laptop stand that had active cooling.

Using iStat Menus, I kept an eye on the sensor called CPU Proximity. The laptop stand was not able to influence the temperature, not even one degree.

On the other hand, turning up the fans even a bit would immediately lower the temperature. So it was my conclusion that anything outside the laptop, such as a case, hardly influences the temperature.

Reactions: StoneJack

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
I have used the light grey pack and smooch from this German couple: https://www.etsy.com/shop/packandsmooch?section_id=7494873

I've been complimented on it more times than I can remember. It is lightweight and soft, yet offers reasonable protection for the machine from a corner drop. It opens and closes simply and quickly in one motion you can put the air in and slide it quickly into a back pack. I can not recommend this case enough.

Last edited:

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
Notebook sleeves aren't meant to be permanently attached. They're protective bags or envelopes intended for transport which is when most damage occurs (i.e., not during use).

I have a faux leather sleeve for my MacBook Air also purchased from an Etsy vendor. Most notebook sleeves provide similar amount of protection so if you go this route, a purchase decision is largely dictated by price and aesthetics.

A leather sleeve is a considerably different look than your typical snap-on case or skin, just like a pair of leather wingtip looks different than a pair of sneakers. Both will protect your feet.

Last edited:

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
It's not permanently attached, i.e. it doesn't stay on when you use it?
It is not permanently attached. You house it in this when you're moving the machine around.

With my past two MBAs, I've only used this.

Also, I just ordered an updated one to try with the MBP 13." When I have it all together I'll post some pics.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
I prefer sleeves to cases as the latter is bad for cooling and ventilation.
My Thule sleeve for the MBA (and a Thule case for my iPhone with the same pattern).

Thule_boritek_4.jpg

THTGI-105BLK_6_1000.jpg

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
I have this one. Everybody who sees it in person thinks it is amazing, as do I.
https://urbanarmorgear.com/products/case-for-macbook-air-13-inch

You can find it online for less money than buying it from the company.
I don't let a few dollars get in the way of it's great protection.

Looks rather heavy, cumbersome and pricey at $79.95 or so. Kuzy on the other hand is $19.99, is light weight and has been trouble free except for the foot pads. No big deal to me.

maestrosteve

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2014
Toms River, NJ
To each his own, but heavy? It's ultra lightweight and really thin, but it's protection is unmatched. You spend over $1000 on a laptop, I don't think you skimp on the protection. I had a cheap rubberized case on my last MacBook and it certainly looked good and fit good, but it can't compare with this one for protection.

Just to add something here, according to the Amazon page for each cover, the Kuzy cover is 10.6 ounces and the UAG case is 11.8 ounces. That 1.2 ounce difference is not all that heavy. According to Amazon, that's actual item weight, not shipping weight.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.