Recommendations for a scanner

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by applekid, Sep 3, 2005.

1. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Okay, I promise. Last recommendations thread for today :p

For my Mac Mini setup, I am looking into getting a small scanner to scan papers I have written and drawn to store digitally. Nothing fancy is required. I mostly have pencil sketches and scribbled notes on notebook paper and sometimes computer paper. I do some photo work once in a while, but it's rare and not a high priority.

Anyways, I am need of a low-profile scanner. Something I can set aside when I'm not using. Canon and HP have impressive looking scanners with some mixed reviews. In particular, I like the LiDE series from Canon and HP's clear scanners.

So, what do you recommend?

2. Prelude2Tragedy macrumors regular

Apr 9, 2005
    New Jersey
    Canon 500F. Great for photos and text. Its very slim and has a built in stand to save space on desk.
  3. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Sep 19, 2003
    LiDE's without a doubt. They're USB-bus powered. The "clear" HP's have a power brick.

I'm eyeing a LiDE sometime in the near future - they can go on the desktop, or can go on the road with me, and I won't have to worry about another power brick. Watch out for the cheaper LiDE's though - some of them aren't USB 2.0. I wouldn't want a USB 1.0 scanner - the scans would take forever.
  4. wozzlewoozle macrumors regular

Jan 3, 2005
    I have an old (3 years...) canon LIDE 30 scanner. I find it works quite well and I enjoy how thin it is. I just tuck it away in a drawer when not being used.
  5. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Sounds like LiDE's are a favorite here. :)

I'm eying the LiDE 500F. I think I'm ready to pay the extra for all of the things it comes with. I do actually have a use for all of it.

Thanks, again to everyone.