Recommendations for an alternative to Mail for email?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Argelius, May 12, 2006.

1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Argelius

I am continually having problems with the Mail application freezing on start and have been hanging out at the Apple.com discussion boards and none of the fixes have worked.

Anyway, be that as it may, I am curious if anyone has a recommendation to an alternative to Mail?

At this point I've checked out MailSmith, PowerMail, and GyazMail, but find their interfaces missing the simplicity (and single-window) of Mail.

Assuming my continued efforts to fix Mail are futile, Thunderbird is my last-resort alternate. Just curious if anyone has any other recommendations. Thunderbird does exactly what I need it to, but wish it looked more "Mac like".)

Thanks.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Thunderbird for sure, but you can check out powermail, I believe I've heard good things about it. I use entourage, but I am considering switching because it seems slower these days.

3. HugMnster macrumors member

you might look at eudora. www.eudora.com
    they have a free version that has ads in it. I have the paid version for windows an love it. not bad on the mac just have to use pc at work so thats my main email for now.

jack

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You could always try some themes to change the look and feel.

https://addons.mozilla.org/thunderbird/themes/

5. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Argelius,

Could you link to the apple forum discussions that discuss the problems you are having or describe them? I use mail and have no problems with it - in fact, I love it. However, a friend of mine is in the process of switching and I have been trying to persuade her to switch over to mail (from thunderbird). The thing is, so far she has had just about every apple software glitch possible happen to her new PB. So I'd like to have my bases covered!

At any rate, you could switch to Entourage. Personally, I can't stand Eudora - it's just messy IMHO. I haven't tried Thunderbird, but entaurage, aside from being uuugly, does a pretty good job... oh I should mention that Eudora seems to be good if you use IMAP - so I've heard.

Thanks!
    Yoji

6. live4ever macrumors 6502a

There's Mailsmith from Bare Bones as well if you don't need IMAP.

7. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

There are a lot of posts regarding this issue (and evidently a number of different "solutions"). Here's my most recent thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=2312864#2312864

And an older one:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=2038718&#2038718

I had this same problem about a year ago, but unfortunately, I don't remember which of the fixes I employed to get things working again. I really love the Mail app and really don't want to switch to something else...

8. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

Thanks. I may just give it a try.
    On a side note, are there any Thunderbird extensions that tell you how many messages you have like Mail does with the number superimposed on the Dock icon? I like that.

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

None that I know of. I don't really use desktop mail clients. I am a big fan of web based so I don't have to configure the machines I use.

10. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Thunderbird does that straight out of the box. Do you use POP3 or IMAP?

11. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

To make things easier for you and others that might read this thread (well, it saves you time), I thought I would include a link to a skin that looks a lot like Mail.

Link

12. nokq macrumors member

13. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Yeah it's definitely the mutt's nuts! Not for the faint of heart though!

14. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

Whoops....somehow missed that when I was first playing with Thunderbird. Works just like Mail.

Now, if I could get Thunderbird to work with Growl, I'd be all set.... (I know there is a way to do this, but so far, I've been unsuccessful in implementing it...)

15. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Funny you should say that yes that works too :)

I'll try to dig out the instructions for you - was quite simple in the end.

16. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

Thanks!

I did find a website that explained how to do it, but evidently my brain isn't big enough, cuz one of the terminal commands (step 4) I needed to enter didn't work to activate the growl script. I'm sure I didn't do something right...

17. PatrickF macrumors 6502

I'm actually using a different script for this. Save the following text into a text file (use any text editor you like)

I have this file saved in /usr/local/bin/notifyGrowl. Once you've saved the file there type the following in a terminal window.

Then once you've done that configure as per step 5 and make sure that you have this as the executable path

18. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

Thanks so much for your help with this. I hate to be terribly dense, but I must be doing something wrong.

I saved your script as a text (.rtf) file in my root folder: /users/glenn/

I did the terminal command using this as the path. I assumed this step worked, since there was no error message -- just a return to the $.

In YAMP I browsed to the script file above and selected it. However, when I click on "test", nothing happens....

I checked in Growl (in system preferences) to see that GrowlNotify is checked and active.

Any ideas? :(

19. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Make sure that the script is saves as a plain text file, not RTF.

To check that it's working just try typing the following into a Terminal window. You should get a growl notification appear.

Obviously substitute for where you've saved your script.

20. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

Well, I guess I'm doing something wrong.... :eek:

Here's what I did:
    [1] Copied your script and created a TXT file this time
    [2] Put this into a folder (in my case: /users/GLENN/)
    [3] In Terminal typed: sudo chmod +x /users/GLENN/notifyGrowl.txt
    [4] When asked for my password, I put that in and hit Enter; Terminal returns to regular prompt
    [5] In YAMB and pointed it to this same file
    [6] Hit "Test" -- nothhing happens
    [7] Went into Terminal and entered: /users/GLENN/notifyGrowl.txt
    [8] Got the error message: #: bad interpreter: No such file or directory/perl

Heavy sigh...
    :(

21. PatrickF macrumors 6502

It looks like you don't have Perl installed on your machine then. Odd, I thought this came installed on every copy of OS X!

You could try typing the following in a Terminal, which will attempt to locate Perl if it can be found:

If that brings up anything then just change the path to perl on the first line of the script (The bit starting with #!)

If it doesn't bring up anything then you'll be limited to using Bash. You could try this script instead of the one I copied earlier (just paste it over the contents of your existing file).

Also make sure that the path in the GROWLNOTIFY variable matches where you copied the growlnotify executable from the earlier step.

22. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

Well, you are awfully kind for your persistance with this!

Terminal search for perl found this: /usr/bin/perl

So I guess it's there. Does the fact that I placed your script in a different location matter? I must admit I don't know where on my Mac the "/usr/bin" directory is. I see that's where you placed your script; it put mine in the regular USER (as opposed to usr) folder...

23. PatrickF macrumors 6502

It makes no difference where you place your script, as long as you can get to it.

The /usr directory by default doesn't show in Finder (but you can still get to it via the Terminal or in Finder using Go -> Go to Folder...

I wonder if Text Edit is doing something funny with the file. Try copying the original script to your clipboard (just highlight the text in your browser and Edit -> Copy), then open a Terminal and typing the following:

Paste from your clipboard (the usual Edit -> Paste or via keyboard). You should now see the contents in the Terminal window. Make sure you enter a new line after the contents. Then press Ctrl + D. This should leave you with a file named notifyGrowl with the contents you pasted. Again, chmod +x the file as per previous instructions and try again.

Hope it works!

24. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

Well, did all of the above; still no go.

When I tried running the script in Terminal, I got the following:

powerbook:~ GLENN$ /Users/GLENN/notifyGrowl
    /Users/GLENN/notifyGrowl: line 11: use: command not found
    /Users/GLENN/notifyGrowl: line 13: syntax error near unexpected token `$SENDER,$SUBJECT,$MESSAGESIZE,$SIZE_FORMAT,$APP,$GROWLNOTIFY'
    /Users/GLENN/notifyGrowl: line 13: `my($SENDER,$SUBJECT,$MESSAGESIZE,$SIZE_FORMAT,$APP,$GROWLNOTIFY);'