Recommendations for another internal hard drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by vkapoormd, Aug 22, 2004.

1. vkapoormd macrumors member

Jun 14, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I just got my G5 and will be doing some video editing; it came with the stock 160 g HD, so it is my understanding that i would want the video stored on a separate HD other than my applications HD to minimize fragmentation. I was looking for recs on another internal HD, and also whether the additional HD should just have applications on it, or can i also put my normal data files (non video files) on it as well or whether they should go on the HD where the video will be stored.
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I put another 160GB into my G5 (Seagate SATA, just like it came with) and also have an external Lacie 120GB drive (a few years old). When I was looking, I couldn't find a decent larger-than-160GB drive, but I see no reason why you couldn't get something bigger than that - just try to buy something nice enough that it's relatively quiet. The nice thing about putting only infrequently accessed files on the second drive (video, data, etc. - doesn't matter as long as it isn't used all the time) is that your second HD can put told to sleep when possible, reducing drive noise further (something you can't do if you store frequently used items on it, as you will either not allow it to sleep, or deal with frequent spin-up delays).

I tend to like putting video in external drives, as I could (in theory) chain as many of them as I want should I need more room, and I could move them from system to system. Any Firewire drive will have a fast enough connection for video. Plus, I can shut it off when not needed. Of course, it takes up more room. Trade-offs, always trade-offs.

You might want to start with a 160-250GB internal, as it's easy to install and adds no clutter. Be sure to have a backup solution for any edited video - perhaps the purchase of a bigger, slow, external drive might be good for this.
  3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Slightly off-track here but:

What I've found on these forums is one person's bad experience with a drive will colour their opinions forever.

I once had a total data-loss, audibly-crunching nightmare with a 10gb Seagate once, and have never gone near them again, even though loads of people will swear by them.

Others will slate Western Digital, but I've never had any probs and have ordered some Raptors for work...

I still can't bring myself to buy a Samsung, though. That emotional knee-jerk reaction is based on the number of Samsung televsions & VHS machines I see thrown out on the streets in London...
  4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    Check in Sunday Chronicle's ad section. BB, OD, OM, CUSA always show deals in their ad pages. After the mail in rebate it's cheaper than buying from Get which ever's the cheapest. All the latest HDs are created equal. Some manufacturers offer 3 year warranty. Get that if you're paranoid. RMA is easy when for whatever reason the HD dies. Just make sure you keep the retail package that came with the HD, you'll need it to mail back the HD for RMA.
  5. kant macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2004
    I'm quite impressed with samsung. Besides, they're the only hard drive maker that still offers a 3yr warranty.
  6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...not true actually....Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor, Hitachi all have 3 year warranty on a lot (but not every model) of their drives....oh yeah!