recommendations for anti-spyware?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gamedog, Oct 23, 2006.

1. gamedog macrumors newbie

hey all,
    does anyone have any recomendations for good/safe anti-spyware and cleanup utilities? or more importantly, are there any i should avoid? i'd also like to hear some thoughts on firewall protection! are any free? i am unemployed at the moment, so i need REALLY cheap or freeware.

i have noticed that my powerbook has been taking longer to open and was wondering what might be causing it. after doing a little reading, i am paranoid something is messing with mac!

thanks in advance!

*forgot to include this info: OS X 10.3.9, PPC powerbook G4*

PS - stupid question: is it free to upgrade your os?:eek:

2. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

You don't need any anti-spyware programs for your Mac. Any program that needs to go through an installation process needs to be approved by an admin with the admin password, so there's no way that a spyware program could be installed on your Mac without you doing it yourself.

Free upgrades of the OS from 10.4.1 to 10.4.2, etc. If you want to go from 10.4 to 10.5, you have to pay a price, which is typically $129 US

3. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

Generally you don't need spyware/adware removal tools for your Mac. Mac OS X is extremely secure versus Windows.

Also, I believe Panther has the built in firewall. I know for sure Tiger does, but I am a new Mac user, so I just have Tiger experience.

On the computer slowing down, how much memory do you have? Do you run a lot of programs at startup? This article may be of some use to you:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Enhancing_Performance_Of_Mac_OS_X

Now bumping up your memory is going to cost money, which then you have to deal with budgetary amounts.

On your OS, the current version is Mac OS 10.4 "Tiger." In about 4 months or so, the newest version, Leopard should come out. I would wait until then to upgrade your OS. I would also be ready to shell out $130 for an upgrade, so start saving. If you are a college student, a nice discount is available and you can get a copy for about $70/80 I speculate.

So in order of my recommendations:

1) No Spyware/Virus/Adware scanner
    2) Read that article and look at software/processing running
    3) Upgrade Ram
    4) Upgrade to Leopard

4. gamedog thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks!

so there's NO way for that stuff to get onto my mac? i just read some article on about.com that said if your mac is running slower, it could be ... i have noticed that it's a bit slower launching recently, hence me looking into the possibility. any thoughts as to what might be causing the slower launch?

thanks for the os info tip, warbrain!:D

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

There's no way for it to get installed onto your computer unless you allow it to happen. You need to verify that something is getting installed in OS X. This is a big reason, quite possibly the biggest of them all, why OS X is more secure than Windows, which originally never asked for your confirmation.

RAM is probably the biggest issue with the slower launch or decreasing HDD space.

6. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

Well, nothing is impossible. It IS possible to put ad-ware/spyware on any OS. However, you have to realize that 1) Mac OS X is extremely secure compared to Windows and 2) As an adware/spyware writer why spend time trying to reach such a small segment of the market running Macs when the other 90-95% (I guess) is running Windows?

Plus as Warbrain mentioned, any changes on the computer have to be owner approved.

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

One program that would do good...

Little Snitch. This program will detect any attempt from a program to connect to an external server and warn you of it. You can then deny access or allow it to happen once or forever. It's a great program to have.

8. gamedog thread starter macrumors newbie

much obliged!

hey guys,
    thanks for all of the input! you have put my mind at ease! :)

a few more questions ...
    1. where does on get the free upgrade for the os?
    2. thoughts on using firefox instead of safari?
    3. i do not automatically launch any programs. i did install new photoshop, illustrator, etc. i will check out the article jesse recommended!

you guys are GREAT! thanks for the help!

9. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

The free upgrades are available on the Apple support web page (http:/support.apple.com) or through the Apple menu > Software Update. Software Update will tell you what needs to be updated.

Firefox is great on OS X, but if you're all about OS integration, then stick with Safari. Both browsers have their quirks and problems, but both work fine.

Post 800

10. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

You can set your computer to update automaticly:

Go to Apple Menu --> System Preferences
    Under the System Group should be a Software Update icon. Click that.
    Check the box entitled "Check for Updates" and then select the desired frequency from the drop down menu.

On Firefox:

I agree with Warbrain that both have their quarks. For instance, I can't get into my Lotus Notes school e-mail with Safari so I have to use Firefox. Bank of America's site can't tell when cookies are enabled in Firefox, so I have to use Safari with them.

I like both, I need both so I use both.

11. gamedog thread starter macrumors newbie

you guys rock!

what a quick and simple wealth of info! thanks to all for the help!:D

12. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

We're currently waiting for an update verified for Tiger 10.4.8, but keep checking VersionTracker for MainMenu.app for the next version after 1.5.5

As of now it's only cleared through 10.4.7

MainMenu is an excellent maintenance application that helps to clear all your caches that build up over time.

Like the others have said, there is no way for anyone to install malware on your system unless you are either logged on as administrator or key in your administrative password.

You should only run your administrative account for installations and maintenance.
    For normal daily use, you should set up a limited secondary Super User Account
    that allows you full access to all your normal applications with the exception
    of installations.

Apple ships your system default to auto login.
    Once you have finished your primary set-up, you should go to System Preferences/Accounts and switch to password login.
    Then set up a second account for all your normal daily functions.

As an added measure of safety, never download applications from questionable sources.

13. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the main key reason right now you can't get spyware or viruses on Mac OS X is because no spyware or viruses for Mac OS X exists.

There is not just a "slim" or "unlikely" chance of getting spyware or viruses meant for something other than Mac OS X - there is zero chance.

14. gamedog thread starter macrumors newbie

i must sat again ...

you all freakin' rock! as mentioned, i am currently "seeking employment" (graphic designer) and have been spending much more time on my mac at home. :rolleyes:

you guys have made me feel much better! however, how do "keyloggers" work and would that be an program that i, as admin, have to install (unintentionally)? i was always under the impression that macs don't get targeted by malware, but got a little freaked out after reading an about.com article about malware.

i also ran onyx to help clean things up last night. are there any do's and don't to this? should i not run certain things?

i kept trying to login to the apple site to upgrade my os (currently running 10.3.9) and it kept screwing up my "create ID" and log in abilities! i will have to email them to see if i messed that up. anybody ever have that problem? i just want upgrade my freakin' os!

and thanks again for everyone's patience as i ask all the newb questions! i value everyone's input! *bows down to monitor at helpful forum members*

if we were all out, i'd buy you all a beer!:D