Recommendations for cheap 17" to 19" LCD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by applekid, Sep 3, 2005.

1. applekid macrumors 68020

I'm looking at making a cheap Mac Mini setup, but the display costs have always been a major setback. Now, I'd go with a cheap CRT, but I don't have the desk space for a CRT on where I would put a Mac Mini. So that leaves me with getting a cheap LCD or an iBook instead of a Mac Mini.

There's nothing that's really preventing me from getting the iBook over a Mac Mini. But, I just would feel comfortable with a Mac Mini because I am not in need of a laptop.

So, I've been checking out LCDs on Amazon.com. So many brands, so many reviews, I just don't know what I want right now. I want an LCD that's under $400, sharp, and fast enough to handle DVD movies. Anything comparable in quality to an Apple LCD would be a big plus because I never had any problems with Apple LCDs not matter what size.

Thanks.

2. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

If you want the best deals on a LCD, wait for one of them Dell deals. Their 19" 1905FP has sold for as low as $250 shipped. You can't really beat that.

Anandtech review --> Dell UltraSharp 1905FP: Setting the Bar for New 19" LCDs

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Well you can always wait to see if the 2005FPW goes under 400 again, i got mine for 389.

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

17" and 19" LCD's have the same resolution (1280x1024). You will pay more for a 19" monitor, but you will gain no screen real estate. Save the $$$ and go for a good 17" monitor (like the ultrasharp mentioned above, only the 17" version).

5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

6. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, I almost went for the Dell, but I think the ViewSonic shadowmoses has posted has a good price and good response time. I'll let this thread run it's a course for a couple of more days, but I think ViewSonic has won my heart... or wallet.

7. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I use a Dell Ultrasharp and I could not be happier with it! The screen is clear, bright and vibrant. Also, Dell has great support if you get a monitor with a dead pixel. I say if you can find a good deal, go with the Dell Ultrasharp series.