Recommendations for cheap 17" to 19" LCD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by applekid, Sep 3, 2005.

1. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    I'm looking at making a cheap Mac Mini setup, but the display costs have always been a major setback. Now, I'd go with a cheap CRT, but I don't have the desk space for a CRT on where I would put a Mac Mini. So that leaves me with getting a cheap LCD or an iBook instead of a Mac Mini.

There's nothing that's really preventing me from getting the iBook over a Mac Mini. But, I just would feel comfortable with a Mac Mini because I am not in need of a laptop.

So, I've been checking out LCDs on So many brands, so many reviews, I just don't know what I want right now. I want an LCD that's under $400, sharp, and fast enough to handle DVD movies. Anything comparable in quality to an Apple LCD would be a big plus because I never had any problems with Apple LCDs not matter what size.

2. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    If you want the best deals on a LCD, wait for one of them Dell deals. Their 19" 1905FP has sold for as low as $250 shipped. You can't really beat that.

Anandtech review --> Dell UltraSharp 1905FP: Setting the Bar for New 19" LCDs
  3. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    Well you can always wait to see if the 2005FPW goes under 400 again, i got mine for 389.
  4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    17" and 19" LCD's have the same resolution (1280x1024). You will pay more for a 19" monitor, but you will gain no screen real estate. Save the $$$ and go for a good 17" monitor (like the ultrasharp mentioned above, only the 17" version).
  5. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
  6. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Well, I almost went for the Dell, but I think the ViewSonic shadowmoses has posted has a good price and good response time. I'll let this thread run it's a course for a couple of more days, but I think ViewSonic has won my heart... or wallet.
  7. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    I use a Dell Ultrasharp and I could not be happier with it! The screen is clear, bright and vibrant. Also, Dell has great support if you get a monitor with a dead pixel. I say if you can find a good deal, go with the Dell Ultrasharp series.