Recommendations for Dual-layer DVD Burners with Lightscribe

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mowogg, Apr 29, 2005.

1. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

Tiger seems to support a whole slew of DVD burners. Does anyone know of an internal Dual-Layer DVD burner that supports Lightscribe?

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hello, I looked into this for some time as well as contacting LaCie and HP for info. because I really wanted/needed a new burner. Support for Lightscribe is HP (it's their drive and tech.) at this point and unless they sell it to others (LaCie external drives) only they can make that drive. As far as media goes I've been able to look at a few types in person and at the current time the media is only made in the "+" format. The look (quality) is less than what I really was looking for (would prefer a silver scale, not the faded gold) and while it's a great idea I did hold off for now.
    The few companies that make the dvds/cds are Verbatium, TDK and HP. I guess if you e-mailed HP as I did for info they may help but as of Feb. when I got my new drive (see sig.) they had not and were not going to produce an internal unit until the drive "gained" more ground. FWIW I think that would mean $$$ that others would give HP for the Lightscribe tech.
    I hope this somewhat helps since I have e-mailed HP and others that make the discs just to really know if it was worth it in the end :rolleyes:

3. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Do we know what specific burners they are putting in the new G5's yet? Pioneer?

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

No answers as to which dvd drive in the new G5's from other (DVD) forums I've been in yet today :cool:

5. Sca1pel macrumors regular

6. mowogg thread starter macrumors 6502

mowogg

Thanks for the information. I think I'll hold off on a Lightscribe for now. Dual-layer drives are so cheap, I may just get one of those.

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

It's a great idea but with few options at this point. That's what I did, then I bought my external and haven't looked back :)

8. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

From what I've heard the Lacie is just an NEC 3520A, which are just as good in an generic firewire 5.25 inch case. I have an NEC 3520A in a Bytecc enclosure and it's sweet, and looks to kill.

9. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Yeah my LaCie is a NEC and some of the older d2 models are NEC also. Any of the models with Lightscribe tech. are now HP :rolleyes: I just happened to buy mine when checking out the Recon. page for drives and got a nice deal it was $117 shipped and got it within 48hrs I think.

10. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I've been happy with my non-LightScribe LaCie D2

11. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Just an update "A MacInTouch reader today says that his new dual-2.3GHz G5 has a SONY DW-Q28A dual-layer DVD-writer in it".
    Some people also have said that they have the Pioneer 109 so, this may lead to more than one vendor for their dvd drives.