recommendations for mini dvs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by irok, Jun 21, 2005.

1. irok macrumors newbie

mom wants a mini dv camcorder. i have no knowledge in this and i can only read reviews. she doesnt need a HD cam, her budget is $1000 less. any recommendations?

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Most camps seem to be divided between Canon and Sony. At the price level you mention the Optura and Elura series seems to be good bets based on some research that I have done so far.

3. JoshRtek macrumors member

I would recommend the Sony cameras, they are the leader in video technology (along with Canon and Panasonic). Their cameras are durable and often have very good optics. If you can get a camera that has 3 CCD chips for $1000.00, go for it...the quality will look much better than a single-chip camera.

Look for manual features, you'll want them later on. Check out Sony's website (www.sony.com) and navigate to the camcorders section and take a look at their current model lineup.

Personally, I feel that most MiniDV cameras have become too small and too portable (yes, I said too portable). I like to have something a little more substantial to counter balance with... Anyhow...my three cents.