Recommendations for used iPods

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Kirkman, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Kirkman macrumors member

Dec 27, 2002
    Hey all,

I want to get an iPod for myself this Christmas, but I'm trying to exercise some financial restraint, so I am limiting my search to used models.

But financial motives aren't the only reason I am looking at used iPods. My Mac is a Pismo G3 running OS 10.3.0, so I don't want to buy an iPod that doesn't come with a FW cable. USB won't cut it. Additionally, a dock would be nice.

I've seen that SmallDog has 40gb 3rd gen iPods with dock and carrying case for $269. Apple seems to have the same thing at the same price. Smalldog also has a 15gb 2003 model for $179.

Any recommendations on what used model has the best value for price out there? Also, what are the reputable places to get them? I want to avoid eBay, because I don't want a model with a maxed-out battery or display problems, etc.

2. doucy2 macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2005
  3. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2004
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    Well I don't know if you would be interested but I have a 4g 40 GB iPod that would come with the firewire cable and possibly the dock. The iPod is brand new because it just got replaced under warranty a few days ago. I haven't even turned it on yet. I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to sell it but let me know if you are interested.
  4. hubristol macrumors regular

Nov 28, 2005
    I know how you feel about the whole financial restraint thing. I actually bought an iPod video a few weeks back and am now selling it simply because it has more features than I need and the money could be put towards better things (like funding a computer).

I actually kinda prefer my old 3rd gen iPod to it in a way. :p
  5. Kirkman thread starter macrumors member

Dec 27, 2002
    Huh, that's pretty interesting. Well, it kinda validates my idea about this whole thing. :)

So did you have a previous model? Or will you go ipod-less once you sell the video one?