Recommendations for Web Hosting company

Discussion in 'Community' started by Hoven, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Hoven macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I'm ready to dump the little company that is now hosting my wife's website, who I'll call YankTheRug.
    (I supposed I could tell who they are, if someone really wanted, but trashing them publicaly isn't my point here today.).
    So I was hoping to get some opinions on which company I should switch to.

Here's a bit of background:
    Last week, in the middle of the week, YankTheRug changed their servers without any customer notification. I only found out because last week, all of a sudden, we couldn't send any outgoing mail. This isn't the first time stuff stopped working and I called tech support to find out they changed something on their end without considering customer impact. I'd be fired from my job if I did that. At any rate, I'm done with them.

I currently have a domain name (from Network Solutions), and my ISP is Road Runner Business Class (from Time Warner Cable). So, I don't need an ISP or dial-up, just someplace to host my domain name and website (plus a few e-mail addresses under the domain name). Nothing fancy... no ASP pages or database backend or on-line shopping. You can check it out, if you'd like, at www.feldman-hill.com :cool: .

I've looked at a few. Network Solutions does hosting as well as provide the domain name registration. I've also looked at Webhosting.yahoo.com, pointinspace.com, asmallorange.com, and ixwebhosting.

Anyone have any experiences with these? Do you have a web hosting place you really like? My basic criteria are great customer support and inexpensive (since I don't need lots of fancy add-ins right now).

Many Thanks!

2. rogerw macrumors 6502

a small orange ive tried based on recomendations here. So far so good and they are really helpful and have a great control panel thingy

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

4. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

He speaks the truth.

5. Hoven thread starter macrumors regular

Well, given the response, I was beginning to think that asmallorange was based in the UK :D
    So just for grins, I looked it up and it's data center is in Dallas Texas USA and, interestingly, it's "offices" are in Atlanta Georga, USA. Hmmmm.

So, folks, I guess it must be post-work day in the UK since y'all are the ones on-line now. Here in the States it's 1:30-ish (aka, my late lunch hour).

Well, thanks for the feedback. So far, the oranges have it!

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Honestly, we're not salesmen - though sometimes we may sound it - they just really are that good. Even with the times that support requests are sent by UK clients, responses of use (not automated crap) are VERY quick. Take a look around their forums too, they're ace!

7. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I third, or fourth? that!

ASO rocks.

8. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I don't know anything about asmallorange.com other than these endorsements and what I've just read on the ASO Web site, but it sounds like a fine hosting company.

For what it's worth, I've recently signed up for an "economy hosting" plan with GoDaddy.com. This plan offers 500Mb of storage and 25Gb of bandwidth for $3.95/mo. (with a 20% discount if you sign up for 12 months' worth). I've only been with them a few months, but so far, so good. Price-wise, it looks like GoDaddy's economy hosting plan fits in between ASO's "Tiny" plan (which offers 75Mb of space and 3Gb of bandwidth for $30/yr.) and "Small" plan (which offers 400Mb of space and 10Gb of bandwidth for $5/mo.).

On the other hand, it looks like ASO has some other stuff going on that may not be useful to you at the moment, but might be in the future. I'm looking at their "No Limits Hosting" item on the Features page, and I especially like the bits about unlimited MySQL databases, mailing lists, subdomains... you pay for that kind of stuff elsewhere (including at GoDaddy.com). So while GoDaddy.com might end up being cheaper for your immediate hosting needs, it looks like ASO gives you some more opportunities to grow in the future.

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That's the thing. ASO are unlimited on all of the services, SQL, Email, blah. They also are happy to upgrade/downgrade your plan when ever as your needs change.

10. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    switching from media temple to asmallorange.

the tech support at media temple is absolutely worthless. i've never dealt with people who were so curt, rude and generally disinterested in doing anything but giving standard replies and getting back to their xboxes or whatever. their control panel has known compatibility issues and they've been unable( and basically unwilling) to sort out our email problems. obviously many other entertainment companies use them here in l.a. but our experience has been horrible. and it's not like we're trying to do anything outrageous...just show our content, block our spam and send/deliver our email. really, is that asking so much...apparently so.

btw, ASO has done backflips to answer all of my questions and demo their control panel. their responses to my questions have been amazingly quick.
    the only reason i haven't switched already was they put new accounts on hold for awhile. time to check back with them.

11. iGav macrumors G3

how bizarre... been nothing but pukka for me. :) Actually I think that's the first complaint I've read about them. :eek:

12. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I 5th the recommendation for asmallorange. They've been great.

Lee Tom

13. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, I guess I get to "Think Different" on this one... I recommend Hostway, out of Chicago. Been using them for several years, and they have top-notch customer service and uptime. They offer a number of different plans to suit your web hosting needs.

14. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Upon recommendations here I went with A Small Orange and they really are superb. Haven't encountered any problems and they're customer service is nothing short of amazing.

They've got a referral programme in place, so since RogerW was first to reply add him on if/when you sign up. Nothing to you and a free month for him! Spread the MR love! :)

Edit: Oh and Comic Sans is evil ;)

15. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    they came highly recommended to us...and their list of clients is quite impressive. guess someone has got to be the 1%.

glad they're pukka for you.( i'm assuming "pukka" is a good thing.)
    :D

16. filmcutter macrumors member

I've been happy with Neureal.com - cheap, lots of features, good uptime, plus:
    Also had good results with Omnis.

17. fox2005 macrumors member

www.netsourcehosting.com works excellent for me, i host 10 sites with them, they are very flexible, service is always done persoanaly, its a very small but reliable company...

18. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

19. Hoven thread starter macrumors regular

OK, OK... no more Comic Sans! :rolleyes: (funny site, by the way). No more N
    avyBlue either I guess.... I use them 'cause it approximates handwritting... seemed "friendlier" to me. Ah well... How about Tahoma? Any better? Too bad we can't use fonts of our own choosing and have them display correctly on anyone's machine.

I did see that ASO has a referral program. Good idea, that. I'll be happy to use RogerW if he is a current ASO customer and I end up with them (highly likely, BTW).

Thanks all!!

20. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I highly recommend ipowerweb.com! I got 1,000 POP3 accounts, 80GB monthly bandwidth, and 2GB space for about $100 a year. I got it on a special, but still! And in 8 months I haven't had a single outage or problem.

AVOID INFINOLOGY.COM LIKE THE PLAGUE.

21. rogerw macrumors 6502

why, thank you! but use edesign cos i think i got the idea from him and forgot/didnt know/ read.. about the referral

im just glad im now with a company who help out when its needed and really quick, cos im not very good at things like websites. only last week i had a problem (icould not send or receive emails from my web based email thingy on my site. I sent an email asking them to sort it and no more than 10 mins later i received a polite reply from them letting me know that my domain registration had expired. (not held by them) Doh!

22. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

23. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I joined up with DreamHost.com when they had a special (enter 777 as a promo code) which gave me a year of 2.4GB + 128GB/month + SQL, email, etc. for less than $10 for one year. Not $10 a month. $10 for the year (first year only), which included domain name registration.

At that price (3 cents a day), they've been fantastic. Email requests are answered in a timely manner, staff seems nice and knowledgeable, etc.

If you're looking for a cheap (rates are still low) place with pretty decent service, I recommend them. However, their uptime is good but not phenomenal (down several times for a few minutes over the past three months).

I don't think they're as good as ASO (who sound amazing), but they're an excellent value if constant uptime isn't essential (really, they're only been down for a few minutes, but that's forever if you lose a customer).

Of course, for all I know, DreamHost = your YankTheRug. ;)