Recommendations on iPod Cases Please!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ~Shard~, May 16, 2004.

1. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Just thought I'd poll the knowledgeable MacRumors crowd as I often do and see what everyone recommends for iPod cases. I was initially only interested in a skin, to protect the iPod, however I think I would prefer some sort of case now. I am quite active, and since I run and bike a lot, I'm thinking some sort of strap-on case would be ideal. I was looking at this one from MarWare as it looks like it has everything I need and more.

But, I'm curious to see if anyone has anyrthing to say about this case, good or bad, or if there are any other recommendations out there for me. As I said, I'd like to protect my iPod (of course), but would also like a case like the one above that I could essentially always keep it in, and take on my workouts when I'm running, biking, etc. (i.e. with some sort of armband/strap-on option.)

Any advice/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

there are a lot of cases out there for your 'pod, it depends on when and where you use your ipod though. for me a skin is all i need, and now i need a dash holder for my car, but if you want a case you could get the lillypod case thing, which is watertight, or the ipod armor, but do you need that much protection? or are you looking for something more business like?

3. mms macrumors 6502a

I don't have much knowledge about iPod cases but you can find extensive infromation at ipodlounge.com

4. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

I don't necessarily need waterproofing or armor, but as I said, I do want to be running and biking with it, such that the standard belt clip that the iPod comes with won't cut it - I am looking for more of an arm-band type of solution. But, if the case conpletely seals it in, allows me to access the FireWire port without removing it from the case, etc., then I'm cool with an all-in-one solution, whether it's business-like or not. Of course I'd like something somewhat cool looking, and not too bulky, but protection of my iPod and functionality/security/stability while working out, being active, etc. comes before asthetics in my opinion! :cool:

5. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thanks, don't know why I didn't think of that myself! :cool:

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

7. warcraftmaster macrumors regular

i love my iskin(evo) www.iskin.com great support i ever got two of them for my one iPod one glow in the dark(ghost) and oh so sweet baby blue(sonic) one :eek: when am bored i just wright on them with a pen it :cool: making it more personal ;)

8. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    As long as you stay away from the standard bel-clip thing you should be okay. My one broke yesterday, and as much as I let out a little wimper as though a small personal era had come to an end, I was still hacked off for the bleedin' thing breaking.

I second the ipodloung.com for there are many useful sources for such things.

9. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

I really like the EVOs as well, however even if I get one I'll still need some sort of clip/arm-band apparatus to secure it on me while I'm running...

10. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Good advice, thanks. So by standard belt-clip do you just mean a standard "plain Jane" clip you would buy at a store, kind of thing? Or do you mean any of these companies which sell belt-clip solutions, like the MarWare one for instance which I cited in my original post? Just curious...

11. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

~Shard~

i have the other marware one...

http://www.marware.com/3GBASIC.html

i don't use it - i bought it thinking i'd continue to use iPod for jogging but decided to buy a flash mp3 player instead. so it's just sitting around.

if you'd like, i'll sell it to you for $15 USD, shipped.

let me know if you are interested.

12. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

i have one of those marware neoprene cases... beware... after a few months of taking the ipod in and out... vertical scratches started to develop all across the whole front of my ipod... that clear plasticy face cover was a little abrasive i guess... oh well... ill never use it on my new ipod...

13. eyeluvmyimac macrumors regular

ive had several ipod cases, and my favorite, by far, is my iskin exo2 from www.iskin.com -- they just released a new version too, the evo...both versions have a belt clip -- and I think you can get an arm clip for it...it is a fantastic case, keeps my ipod nice and clean, comes in really cool (even glow in the dark) colors, and also a clear version (which I have) cause i like to gaze longingly at my pod :p

can't go wrong with this one...unless you plan on literally throwing your ipod into the ground with some force behind it, then you might want to consider something with a bit more protection

14. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Veja.com has some great looking, high-quality cases. A few are in "clearance" and can be had for rather good prices.

15. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Check out iPod Lounge Case Reviews

I have the iSkin Evo2. Love it. Only problem is that it's a big bulky, but at least it's protected.

16. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thanks for the offer - I'll think about it and PM you if I'm interested. :)

17. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Really good to know, thanks a lot for that gem! Maybe I'll stay away form the MarWare one... :confused:

18. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

I took a quick look and didn't notice an arm-band option - do you know if this is the case or not? Maybe I'm just missing it. I am now leaning towards getting an iSkin Exo or an iSkin Evo - the protection is definitely adequate (as I won't be throwing my iPod around!), and they do look very cool, so now it'll just be to sort out the belt-clip / arm-clip situation.

Thanks again everyone for your help! Any more comments, recommendations or advice is definitely welcome! :cool:

19. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I am thinking about picking up the the marware one you mentioned. I was hoping to see one in person though. I think a trip to the Apple store is in order. Ill let you know how it goes.

ps. good to know about that scratching. Bummer if it really is true. I would have to look else where.

20. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i have a marware, never noticed any scratches. it's handy because it stores the headphones too, and it's convertible-- the outer cover comes off. Strap it to your arm when you go jogging, doesn't skip a beat.

My only problem with it is that the holes in the plastic are hard to match up with the iPod buttons. But that's almost entirely cosmetic, it functions fine.

paul

21. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Good to know, thanks Paul. I don't know if the scratching would be an issue for myself either, as once I have my iPod in the case I don't think I'll be taking it out too often, as there would really be no need to! ;) Do you find yours bulky at all, Paul?

Kay, so now I just have to decide between this MarWare one and and iSkin Evo/Exo w/ arm-clip. Once again, can anyone confirm that an arm-clip accessory exists for the iSkins, as I haven't been able to find one on their website? The MarWare is definitely functional and all-purpose for what I need, but the iSkins look so damn cool too... Ah, choices, choices... ;) :cool: