Recommended dialup ISP?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nagromme, Jul 1, 2005.

1. nagromme macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    Who is a good choice these days? If you have an ISP you like, I'll look up the details and report back :)

I seek:

* Under $10/month. (I'm paying $15 now with AppleISP.)

* Trusted, recommended company. Reliable connections and good uptime.

* Access numbers everywhere I travel (US).

* NO 5-HOUR CONNECTION LIMIT! I download files bigger than that sometimes. "Unlimited" usually means nothing when you read the fine print.

* V.92 support (so my PowerBook will tell me when I have a voice call coming).

* I don't need email (except outgoing), or web space, or "acceleration." So I won't pay extra for those.

How close can I get to the above?, Copper, TheMacISP and PeoplePC don't cut it. Usually because of the 5-hour disconnect.

Broadband sounds nice, but not $400+ per year nice! Not when I can download a big file overnight and have it by morning on dialup anyway. $400 for convenience? I'll put it towards a new computer :D Besides, I travel, and broadband doesn't.

2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    I used to work for Galaxy Internet Services way back in 2000. They were okay, but I don't know about dial-up now.

I had good experiences with Earthlink when I used them (around the same time, in 2000.)

There was a Boston area ISP,, but they seem to have vanished :confused: They offered just bare-bones access, no tech support!

There was also a Mac-centric dial-up ISP .. but I forget the name ...