Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

insidedanshead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I am sure this has been a topic of discussion before but I thought I would bring it back up. I am making a video for my friends wedding. I have never burnt a dvd out of imovie successfully, as all the DVD-Rs I buy aren't supported. What kind of DVD-Rs do you guys generally use? I have a first generation Superdrive to if that matters.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
You should try the Apple DVD-R's. Theyre guaranteed to work =)

Also, ive never had a problem with Memorex. In fact, i just bought 100 of them on sale at Best Buy.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Well, what brands of DVD-R have you tried? Apple brand 2.4x DVD-R is supposedly very good, but then it's really made by Maxell, so you can just pick up a 25/pack Maxell at any retailer instead of bleeding for the 5/pack Apple DVD-Rs.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Of course they do, they want to squeeze every last drop of your money from your wallet. The Apple branded 5 pack 4x DVD-R black w/ individual slim cases costs $20, or $4 a disc. The same people who makes Apple DVD-R, Maxell, sells the 25 pack 4x DVD-R for $30. You do the math.

insidedanshead

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I tried some phillips one but I took those back.. so I can't tell you the details on those.. the other ones are Memorex DVD-R 4X... does the 4x matter? can the first generation superdrive not write to 4x media?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
As it is in most cases, you get what you pay for. Although media like Verbatim and Maxell may be a bit more pricey than other brands, like Memorex, they are definitely better quality. I haven't had the best luck with Memorex in general, and their products just seem overall "cheap" to me. But, you got to go with what works, so if people don't have issues with Memorerx, then by all means!

jywv8

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
I've used K Hypermedia DVD-Rs. From what I've read, I don't think anyone likes them but me. I got them free from a friend and haven't had any problems.

GrannySmith_G5

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2003
oith
Originally posted by absolut_mac
Where do you buy the Maxell at that price?

A website would be most helpful :)

I second that. I would be very interested in knowing where I can get 25 maxell dvd-r's for 30 dollars.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
Best luck with..

Hello all,

I have had the best luck with two different superdrives ( A03 and A05 ) with Verbatum and Ritek media. I get them from http://www.meritline.com. Recently, I have had good luck with Princo discs in the A05 superdrive, and those I get for less than $1 ea. from AllMediaoutlet.com.

I have not had the best of luck with Memorex, or the new Apple 4x media. I kept getting video distortions periodically. I have a PM DA 733, the first withg a superdrive, and I have had it for several years now. I am finding that some of my older Apple discs are no longer playing well in my DVD players. Fortunatly, I am able to make a copy of the discs onto a newer disc, and get a restored version. I suspect that the superdrive has better error correction for reading discs

I would stongly suggest you have a look at either of these places.

Max

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
As another poster said, you get what you pay for. Cheap discs might work now, but in a year they will probably be coasters.

maxvamp, I would stay far, far away from Princo dics. Princo + "why do my burned DVDs no longer work?" seems to be a popular combonation.

I've used Verbatim and Apple branded discs so far w/o a problem. I also have a Pioneer authoring quality disc that someone made for me 2 or 3 years ago and it still works like a charm.

Lethal

cotton

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2003
I get my Ritek DVD-R (now known as RiDATA) from Rima.com. They have pretty cheap prices (100 pack of Ridata discs is currently $82 plus shipping and tax if applicable).

Have not gotten any coasters (knock on wood) yet and I have been using only those discs for a while now. :)

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
LethalWolfe...

Tanks for the heads up. I'll go back to sticking with what works...Verbatum and RiTek.

The Riteks are only a few cents more anyhow...

Max

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Re: LethalWolfe...

Originally posted by maxvamp
Tanks for the heads up. I'll go back to sticking with what works...Verbatum and RiTek.

The Riteks are only a few cents more anyhow...

Max

Probably a smart bet. As I said above, you get what you pay for. And even though Memorex and those other cheaper DVDs may burn fine and appear to work, I question their longevity.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
Mild exception

I have found that you can go buy the most expensive blank out there, and the quality will be no different than a much lower cost reasonable priced disc.

For example, both of the brands I use regularly, I have done so for a couple of years. These are Verbatum, and Ritek. The Verbatum are generally twice the cost of the Ritek.

Now, I have tried a lot of different brands, and some have started fading away very soon after being burned (DVDPro), while others have taken a couple of years ( 3M and Apple ).

I would urg people not to take cost as the only factor, but instead, try different brands on different burners ( not all burners like the same brands of blanks ), and try to find out what other people with your brand of DVD burner have had long term (if possible ) luck with. A good source of information might be your local videographers, and there source for media. In Denver it is the 'TapePlace' .

Myself, I will pay $1.25 for Riteks 4x blanks, $2.50 for Verbatums, and $3.25 for Ritek 9.4 GB blanks. I will not pay $9 for Pioneer 9.4GB blanks, even though Pioneer makes the Apple drive I use.

I could pay much more, but , through two plus years of testing, I have found that it buys me no more quality. There is no sense in throwing money away either by paying way to much, or by using really bad discs.

Max

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
One other note...

I have not liked Maxell media for almost a dozen years. I think thier motto is : if it looks good, it won't last, and if it looks bad, it will last forever.

I have had fairly poor luck with thier BetaCam, VHS, and DVD ( RAM and R ) media for quite a long while now. Sad part is that I actually liked thier stuff in the 80s. They got cheaper, and as such, the quality seemed to have vanished.

Do not be surprised if I do not give a thumbs up on this brand.

Max

stromie952

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2002
Rochester, NY
I have used both the Maxell 2x and the Ritek 4x disks on a built in Pioneer 105. The Maxells were good in general but had some problems when backing up DVDs. Near the end of the disk there would almost always be a major flaw that would pause the movie for a second with artifacts and then continue and be alright. But, with the Ritek 4x, I haven't had a single problem with anything. No coasters on either but I would definitely suggest the Riteks, either 4x or 1x depending on the type of drive you have. The Riteks are comparably priced. I know the prices have dropped a lot since I bought mine and I got them for ~$145 for a hundred. Check out dealmac.com for curent pricing around the web.

krimson

macrumors 65816
I've gone thru 7 50-pack spindles of Princo 4x (unbranded white-top), and i've not had a single problem, except for 1 spindle where some (42 to be exact) of the media was screwed up (scratches, stripes and mis/discolored dye) .. I had opened and used a few, so I couldn't return it.

All of them work fine in my A05, my PS2.. i've burned alot of those for friends, as session or season ending DVD's, and only one person has said that they've had problems with the DVD.

Riteks are also very good, I like the Fuji's, but they're too costly for me to do.. since i dont make any money from most of the DVD's we create.

If anyone wants to get the Princo's, http://www.rima.com has them for $80 for a (2) 50-pack spindle. They're Los Angeles, CA based, and shipping is about $7.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com is also a good place to check, they have a section of reader experiences with all kinds of media.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Try to get the media that fits with the speed of your drive. My PowerBook has a 2x superdrive and Apple states that I can use 4x discs but they will burn at 1x speed. So 2x are the optimum for 2x superdrives.

Your G4 733 superdrive is very likely a 1x drive so it probably doesn't matter which discs you use (although make sure you installed that firmware update before using 4x discs).

I've just used my complimentary 2x Apple DVD-R to backup my iTunes collection (only took 30 mins, I was impressed) and i'm probably just going to buy more Apple ones. I can get a 5 pack for £10 education ($16).

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
One question though... if the Apple branded DVD-R says it has a capacity of 4.7 GB (like normal DVDs), why then could I only fit 4.30 GB of music onto it?

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
2 things

The G4 733 Digital Audio contained a Pioneer DVR-103. This was a 2x DVDR /1x DVDRW burner. This was a very picky burner, as it was released 6 months before anyone could buy them separately.

You did need a firmware patch to use 4X media in them. Failure to do so could lock op the drive, and if not caught, burn out the laser.

On the 4.7 vs. 4.3 GB size, it comes down to how one measures a byte. If you count a Byte as 1024 bits, then your DVD holds 4.7 GB. If you count a byte as 1k bits, then a disk holds 4.3 GB. Many dvd shells explain this on the package.

Max

El Dandy

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2003
NY
I usually shop on eBay and get Princo. There's very inexpensive and I love them, i've gone through about 150 of them with only a handful of mess ups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.