Recommended Games for New DS Owner?

Discussion in 'Games' started by zflauaus, Aug 7, 2006.

1. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I am now a proud owner of a DS Lite. I absolutely love it. I haven't touched a Nintendo handheld since the GBA.

Now, I currently have Brain Age and am going to Best Buy Wednesday to get more games. I am planning on buying the New Super Mario Bros., Tetris DS, and maybe Mario Kart DS. Anything else you guys recommend?

2. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

Advance Wars DS. The presentation seems as if it's geared more towards kids, but the concept and execution is more complex. It is a very good strategy game. I loved it on the GBA too.

3. loztheguru macrumors member

mario kart is indeed ace, still my favourite game for the ds.

Meteos is a worthy choice, especially as its often very cheap pre-owned...

Warioware and Trauma Center: Under the Knife really take advantage of the touch screen. Both are fantastic, especialyl trauma center IMO.

4. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I second Advance Wars DS: proof that graphics don't make the game

5. deggs37 macrumors member

Following games are a must:

Mario Kart DS
    Metroid Prime: Hunters
    Tetris DS
    New Super Mario Bros.
    Animal Crossing: Wild World

6. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

For those who have Mario Kart DS, is it similar to MarioKart 64 or Double Dash control wise and map wise?

7. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

What about resident evil. How is that anyone get a chance to play it?

8. zflauaus thread starter macrumors 65816

Okay, it looks like New Super Mario Bros. and Tetris DS is a definate. Mario Kart DS looks like a maybe. I would get Advance Wars DS, but they don't have it online at BestBuy which might mean they don't have it in store. Animal Crossing looks interesting, but I am saying no to Resident Evil. Just never was a big fan of that series.

Anybody else have suggestions?

9. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Mario was fun, but so short... it felt so quick. It might have been so much anticipation to play a mario that felt like the SNES again, but I ended up beating in 2 days or so... and thats only on my free time and what not (which is still a good amount of time).

10. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Mario Kart is nothing like either previous titles. It's closer to the N64 version, but it controls a lot better and most definitely looks a lot better. As for 'Double Dash' - I'm fairly certain that's the worst game ever made.

The DS version is basically the best Mario Kart ever made.

But screw all of those games. You need 'Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow' inside you...metaphorically.

11. deggs37 macrumors member

Agreed

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Gameplay wise it's very similar to Mario Kart 64, but with some techniques borrowed from Double Dash. Maps are more Double Dash in that they're more themed than in previous games. Actually its very hard to say which brings me to the thinking that...

Mario Kart DS is a 'best of' Mario Kart game. has all the best bits from Mario Kart 64, Double Dash. I was about to say the GBA one but theres no coins on the floor! Single cart, sprawling tracks with character specific items and a soundtrack between the excellent MK64 and lacklustre DD.

What games should you get? Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow is one of the best games I've played for any system. Kirby is very fun. Advance Wars is digital crack. Animal Crossing is like a massage for your brain. Tetris DS is Tetris. Metroid Hunters has a fantastic multiplayer mode. Mario Bros DS is a new 2D gameplay Mario.

13. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I'd agree with that. It most definitely like mario kart 64 but I actually enjoy it better, and coupled with on line play, it can't be beat. I loved Castlevania as well, I was stuck in an airport for 8 hours and just kept playing until my battery ran out because of that game.

14. SteveRichardson macrumors regular

SteveRichardson

I really enjoyed Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga for the GBA and it looks promising in the DS title Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time.

Wish they had a Mario-esque RPG for the DS like SMRPG or Paper Mario. That would be awesome. Oh, and we need a zelda ds or something too.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

God knows where or how... but I'm sure I've seen a trailer or screenshots for a Paper Mario style game on the DS. It was a couple of years ago (i was in college at the time so make that 2004). could have been the Cube version though. All I can remember is seeing a paper mario style Bowser running through the first level of the NES Super Mario Bros game.
    Zelda DS is coming out. it's top view like Link to the Past but with 3D sprites. Windwaker style. Should be a blast.

16. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Mario Kart...as previously stated THE best Mario Kart game ever made.

Wario Ware and Feel The Magic were a bit of fun.

And Animal Crossing is addictive as hell. I've heard good things about Castlevania and Sonic so I would recommend looking up some reviews on those.

Meteos is ok, but I haven't really played it too much since I have bought it.

Brain Age was alot of fun but I think the novelty wore out for me pretty fast.

Just my $0.02

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

That was Super Paper Mario for GameCube. But you're dreaming if you think you saw it in 2004, because the video was released at E3 2006.

[​IMG]

IIRC Paper Mario 2 had platforming segments with Bowser, though, so maybe you saw that?

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

might have been. it certainly wasn't this year. saw the video round about the same time I first saw New Mario Bros DS. and getting terrible confused by the 2.

19. MS bulldog macrumors regular

i would recommend googling "snaking in Mario Kart" before buying. this one technique ruined the online play for me as it just wasn't fun. i wanted to powerslide corners and race NOT powerslide the whole damn track.

if you are set on bestbuy for your games, make sure you buy using the gamer gift cards which basically gives you a $5 discount. you usually find them with the other gift cards. with the titles you listed, you could save $5 on each title if executed correctly...buy one at a time each with a separate gamer gift card.

20. LastLine macrumors 65816

I've got it and really enjoy it - currently palying it in rebirth mode with Jill. Not sure if I'd play it if I'd already owned the original on the PS but it's definitely a worthy buy by itself - especially with the use of touchscreen for a number of the zombie knife fights.

21. LastLine macrumors 65816

Anyone know of the cheapest place to buy DS games in the UK?

22. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh thanks ok.. i can't decide if i want mario kart or Resident evil. I love both equally... but Resident would take so long to be (which is a good thing) vs. mario kart... hmmm...

On mario kart, can you connect to your wireless network and play other people across different states? Or do you have to be in range with everyone else?

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not GAME. GameStation can be good, HMV currently have a "2 games for £45" thing going on which includes Phoenix Wright and Trauma Centre. but online is the best overall. I've yet to pay more than £23 for a DS game :)

24. LastLine macrumors 65816

Never having played Mario Kart I can't comment to be fair. But Resident Evil's well worth the purchase. I might be grabbing Mario Kart soon though if I can get into town :)

25. LastLine macrumors 65816

Where online? ;)

And does HMV's include everything? If so I might be tempted to see if I can combine my Student Discoutn with it :)