Recommended Games for PB 15" 1.33 GHz?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Megatron, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Megatron macrumors regular

Hi, i'm about to pick up a used PB 15" 1.33 GHz. It has 768 ram, but I plan on upping that to 1.5GB.

How will games like Call of Duty or Halo run?

How will Warcraft III and other RTS games run?

I realize I won't be playing doom 3 on this machine, but just wanted to get some opinions.

Also, on another note, where is a good place to buy these games? Are there any places that sell older games (such as warcraft 3) at a lower price since they are older?

Thanks!

2. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Halo runs like trash. Terrible port, either way you slice it. Not even worth it if you could get it for free.

COD, I haven't tried yet - but I doubt it's very smooth. Might want to see if there is a demo.

Warcraft III will run like a charm. Your system more than meets the requirements. Most RTS games will be just fine - with the exception of the new, graphically-intensive ones.

My policy is, of course - 'try before you buy' when it comes to mac games. The ports are usually pretty terrible - but sometimes - you have a company like Blizzard that actually gives a damn.

Sadly, besides Blizzard - there aren't many more game companies that deserve your money when it comes to mac games.

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I've run Call of Duty on an iBook G4 1 GHz it ran fine at the native resolution on low settings, it will run even better on the PowerBook G4 1.33 on my PowerBook G4 1.67 15" Rev C it ran perfectly with everything on high, so expect good things from Call of Duty it's a great port!

4. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

The only game you will ever need is World of Warcraft. Runs ok on my 12" 1.33, will most likely run better on the 15" due to the better graphics card.

5. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Call of Duty will run great! My PB (see sig) can run it at 1280x768, with mixed settings from medium - high. Looks and plays great!
    Another good port for your PB is Unreal Tournement 2004. Looks even better than CoD, despite it not exactly having a plot as a single player. Great for mindless shooting though!

6. cvalda macrumors member

What's the video card in it?

I've got a 15"PB 1.5ghz with 1 gig of RAM and the 64MB video card and Halo runs like silk. The game is still sub-par in terms of graphics (it was NEVER a very good looking game, don't even try it) and gameplay, but the frame rate for me is nearly completely consistent.

Warcraft 3 runs AMAZING. All settings on high (I think) and it looks great.

I just got Call of Duty and it's pretty good. I have the resolution at 1024x768 (shush) with FSAA on and medium details and it's pretty consistent in terms of frame rate. Texture work is pretty good and it's actually very easy to use the trackpad with it, too.

World of Warcraft looks AMAZING, even with all the settings on low. I get a consistent 30 FPS, unless I go in Ironforge (big big city, in case you didn't know) where it will drop to about 20 (on weekend nights when EVERYBODY is on and in Ironforge in queue for instances, I get about 10 FPS). Even when I plug my PB into my 42" plasma TV I get 30 FPS (that is surprising, since it's displaying the game on TWO screens so it should have a marked decrease in performance but doesn't).

Those are the only current-gen games I've played on my PB. Hope it helps.

Just make sure to put your processor on HIGH performance or else you will get a HUGE hit in performance on all games. With it on automatic or low, everything runs AT LEAST 50% of what it does on High.

7. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

I would go with WoW.

You can get it for 20 or 30 bucks at Best Buy.

That game is addictive as crack. Not the greatest graphics, but thats not the most important thing when you have awesome gameplay. :)

8. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

See the iBook in my siggy? I ran doom 3 demo and got 24FPS average. A lot of the time it was up to 34fps, so you never know what these amazing machines can run. Try the demo out. I want to get it for my iBook because it's fun and scares the hell out of you. Above all that I don't need perfect 60 FPS.

9. cvalda macrumors member

I really, really doubt that. I played the demo when I had my PB with just 512MB and the 64MB video card, and I got 25FPS TOPS. When opening doors or going into large rooms or having more than three characters on screen, the FPS dropped considerably for several seconds and then would spike back up to 25. It was horrible. This was all on low settings so it also looked like crap.

10. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Call of Duty and Rainbow Six - Rogue Spear will run well.

Battlefield 1942 is a bit too much for my 1.25 GHz PB, but maybe yours will fare better.

11. Megatron thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your replies! I was worried for a second there that everyone was just making xbox 360 threads :)

That's very encouraging that warcraft 3 will run great, as well as call of duty and unreal 2004.

I'm not sure I have the time to play WoW - my last forray into online rpgs was diablo 2 and it literally ate a whole summer. But I've heard good things about it.

I know it sounds kind of dumb, but I didn't check to see which 9700 was in the powerbook I'm getting. Was the 128MB version even offered on the 1.33 GHz?

I saw the warcraft 3 battlechest (where you get the expansion also) at the apple store for not that much money, maybe $30?

Also, does Best Buy carry mac games? It looked like it was all PC?

12. louis_sx macrumors regular

Any Blizzard game you get is hybrid discs, so Starcraft, Diablo II, Warcraft III, and WoW are all PC/Mac on the same discs.

edit: you'll need to hit battle.net to get OS X installers from Starcraft and Diablo II, though. Also, the original Diablo did not make the jump to OS X, so you'll be playing in Classic, if at all. I've had a weird stuttering problem on my eMac wiht it, though my Radeon 8500 is OK.

13. Megatron thread starter macrumors regular

That would be awesome if true...I remember looking at my old starcraft discs this weekend though and they said "win 95 / nt" on them I believe. The OS X binaries are also on the discs?

I also have diablo II and diablo II LOD for pc... You're saying those discs will work?