Recommended Mac-friendly Microphones?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DaBuzz, Jun 8, 2004.

1. DaBuzz macrumors member

DaBuzz

Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations on portable microphones to use with Word 2004’s Audio Notes? The mic on my PowerBook seems to allow too much background noise. I bought one of Logitech’s USB mics, which works great on the desktop, but I’d like to use something portable, with some noise canceling. I’ve been using the feature in meetings, and I seem to be too conspicuous talking into my PowerBook. :D

Thanks!

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

What are you looking for other than a desktop mic? A USB headset? I don't think any other kind of mics are made...

3. DaBuzz thread starter macrumors member

DaBuzz

Well, basically, something portable. It can be USB or line-in - it doesn't really matter to me. The main thing is portability; noise canceling abilities would be nice bonus.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Portable microphone :confused: I don't think anything exists that you're looking for. Your Powerbook already has a microphone in it, and you've ruled out desktop mics, as well as headsets, there's nothing left.

Would this come closer to what you're looking for? Bluetooth Headsets (listed as wireless mobile phone headsets).

5. DaBuzz thread starter macrumors member

DaBuzz

Yes, I know my PB has a mic in it, but during noisy meetings, I get a lot of background noise. I don't mind a headset or an earpiece. Any suggestions there? I'm really open to any suggestions. The only reason I ruled out the desktop mic is because it is kind of cumbersome to take to meetings, and is not exactly "portable".

The Bluetooth is certainly an option; however, in past attempts, when I paired my headset with my Mac, I would lose the pairing to my phone. Not a huge deal, but just a quirk. The only BT headsets I have used are the Sony-Ericcsson ones (because I have an S-E phone). Are there other out there?

So bottom line: I am open to any suggestions. I need something portable, high quality, USB or line in or Bluetooth. If there is a desktop mic that can be easily carried around, then great.

Here's where I am coming from: I had an old mic I got from a Compaq system. It was essentially a mini-mic, that did not look like something used in music studios. Unfortunately, I don't think it works, because I get no response when I plug it into my PowerBook's line-in jack.

Sorry for the miscommunication. I hope this clears what I am looking for a little better. And THANK YOU, everyone, for your responses...I very much appreicate your taking the time out to respond! :)

6. DaBuzz thread starter macrumors member

DaBuzz

7. sahnert macrumors 6502

even if the compaq mic works on your other computer (that is, assuming it's not broken) it will not work work with the line in on the PB because it's mic level not line level. You would need to plug it into a mic input which the PB doesn't have. an alternative would be to purchase a small protable headphone amp to power your mic and boost the signal enough so the powerbook would pick it up.

8. johnnowak macrumors 6502

Just jack up the input level in System Preferences. It will likely be loud enough. I can run a Sennheiser 835 into my laptop fine.

9. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

any mic with a standard stereo mic input will work. you can a $2 mic or a $300 mic with a convertor plug. doesn't really matter.

10. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

buying a second bluetooth headset would also work. bluetooth devices have to be set to one partner at a time. that's why your headset has to be re-set to your phone after you get it working on your powerbook, and that's why apple's bluetooth keyboard and mouse are meant for just one computer. it would be nice to allow multiple bluetooth profiles but maybe at that point, for the extra cost in manufacturing such a thing, consumers may as well buy multiple devices.

11. DaBuzz thread starter macrumors member

DaBuzz

I did that, and I still get no sound response from the mic.

Is the Sennheiser you mention a large mic (like something a singer or studio would use)?

The Bluetooth option sounds cool, but man are they expensive.

Does anyone have any experience with either Logitech's USB headsets/mic combo or the Sennheiser PC120 Single Sided Headset with Microphone?

12. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Wrong.

Wrong again.

Microphones made for PCs are not line level inputs. Most pro audio equipment uses line level audio, so its not a problem. However, the reason I recommended Bluetooth or USB is Macs only have line level inputs, which a PC mic would not work with, no matter how much you boost the input.

Also, Bluetooth headsets can only be paired with one Bluetooth device at a time, so if you pair your headset with your computer, it is normal for it to unpair from your Bluetooth phone.

13. DaBuzz thread starter macrumors member

DaBuzz

OK, so a USB or Bluetooth headset or mic is the way to go :) Any recommendations on either? I used to own a Sony-Ericsson HBH-65, but I lost it. So if I am going to be in the market for 2 (or a USB headset/mic), any recommendations would be appreciated.

I was considering the Logitech Headset 200, but reviewers on Amazon seem to have given it low marks. So the only other manufacturer I know of is Plantronics.

On the Bluetooth side, I was considering an HBH-65 (again), the Logitech headset, or the Jabra.

Any thoughts?

I appreciate everyone's input! :)

14. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

i'm still confused

I really don't know anything about microphones. The problem is that I use the audionote feature when I'm taking notes. With my pb, I get the sound of the keys clicking imposed over the voice of the professor. I was hoping to find a solution that would plug into the mic port with the size of a bluetooth or wireless mouse dongle. something portable. if the mic port is not an option, then usb would have to do. I was hoping something fairly cheap would be available somewhere.

I guess my question is two fold - what is available that does this; and am i even looking for something that exists?

thanks for your help.