Recommended Mac Gamepads?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Chris_Evans, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Chris_Evans macrumors newbie

With our game, we're giving away gamepads with pre-orders. Finding a decent gamepads (at a decent price) for the Mac is tough. Once I run out of my current stock, it's going to be hard to get hold of more.

What gamepads do you guys use or what gamepads do you recommend? Do you guys use specialized Mac gamepads or use PC gamepads via Gamepad Companion? Gamepad Companion is great, but it does take a bit of work to map everything.

It would be nice if gamepads came stock with computers...oh well.

2. ionas macrumors regular

My Recommandation

I used the PAD for MAME and Genesis Emulation.

Logitech® Cordless RumblePad™ is GREAT
    The Version 2 is not so great cause it misses 2 buttons.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/productlist/US/EN,crid=28

I got the Logitech® Cordless RumblePad™ but not the cordless but the wired version, it is basically the same GamePad, just not formed so "smooth" n round but more edgy and it got (oh wonder) a cable to plug into an USB port.

It got lots of buttons and i am very happy with it and it runs with PC AND MAC (actually i used it on my pc for a longer time before that)

Only the drivers could be "more" (means the games must support the pad somehow, os x just offers some buttons to the programmer or so... i am not into this topic that deeply, but it works fine with MacMAME for Mac OS X for example)

3. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Get one of the older Microsoft pads with USB, they seem to work without any driver at all.

4. kaylee macrumors regular

kaylee

I second the Microsoft USB gamepads. Or really just any half-decent gamepad that works under Mac OSX - I mean you are giving them away free with a pre-order, so I think people shouldn't expect top-of-line, really expensive ones, but also not something that is craptacular and falls apart.

Also, sort of off-topic, but not entirely:
    I went to pre-order the game the other day (30th sept), and it told me then that I couldn't do that from Australia yet. Today (2nd oct), I try again and now I can :). I was half-expecting that to mean i wouldn't be able to pre-order at all, or that i would be able to right near the cutoff date for pre-orders and maybe miss out, so I'm really happy this isn't the case.

5. heyadol macrumors member

My favorite pad is this one. It is based on Sega's Saturn pad and is perfect for most mame (especially Street Fighter type games) and all 8 and 16-bit console emulation. It works on OS X and pc's without drivers (actually, I assume the drivers are built in to the OS but it's definitely plug and play). If you look at Sega's page you will notice an iBook in the background, the controller was included in the OS X and Windows versions of Puyo Puyo Fever.