Recommended reading?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Oki, May 16, 2004.

1. Oki macrumors member

Oki

I just purchased a 15" PB (it comes in "on or before" the 24th) and I want to learn all I can about it. What is a good book I can pick up that will cover the basics of OSX? Anything else you can recommend?

2. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I heard that there's a book called "The Missing Manual" or something, for Mac OSX. Do a search for it on amazon - I hear it's really good.

Congratulations on the switch,
    JOD8FY

3. thrillz3 macrumors member

Yeah, The Missing Manual OS X Panther Version. I picked that up the other day and am reading it waiting for my 12" PB to be delivered.

4. Crikey macrumors 6502

Another vote for MacOS X: The Missing Manual, Panther edition.

Crikey

5. Oki thread starter macrumors member

Oki

Mmm, well, The Missing Manual it is. I'll pick it up at Hastings tonight. TY for all the help!

6. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

Definitely the Missing Manual Panther Edition, written by David Pogue; very readable, in-depth coverage of all you need to know to get yourself started. It covers the OS in great detail, has a good introduction to the iApps, some Unix stuff, very good troubleshooting, plus loads more that I can't remember without having the book in front of me.