recommended reboot/shutdown for iBook...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dscan99, Mar 22, 2005.

1. dscan99 macrumors regular

LAst night while playing with my iBook.. I heard a loud whiirrrr and whizzzz coming from the top of the machine.i.e the part closer to the screen when opened. It soudned like the harddrive or the fan going in full gear. My iBook is about 4 months old and have never heard anything like it before.

Granted it was very hot to touch at the bottom and I hadn't rebooted or shut it down in at least 3-4 weeks. I usually just put it to sleep.

It sort of got me worried about whether I should be shutting down my mac or at least rebooting it every once in a while to keep things sane..? I am a switcher so this is a fairly normal occurence on Windows boxes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. jackl79 macrumors newbie

I have had 4 powerbooks now myself and also and at work we have a 12" and 14" ibook none of these are ever shutdown...

just make sure the air intakes are not blocked eg by using in a bed or something and it should be fine!

3. dscan99 thread starter macrumors regular

You've made a good point Jack.. For the most part my iBook is on a bed/couch. Is this not advisable? Where are the air intakes?

4. jackl79 macrumors newbie

on the new powerbook they are at the sides quite low down near the front.. on the last powerbook it also had one at the back with a fan below a flap thing if i remember correctly?

look at the case and look for little vents.... im sure its on the side on the new ibook sorry I cant look now cos the ibooks are both out in meetings

if you do use it on a soft surface just put a big (A4 ish size) book or tray under it then this will alow airflow and increase battery life (if the fans are not needed)

I have a mat that plugs into the usb port and sucks air from the bottom of the powerbook and blows it out the back (its quite hot in my office -its made by meridian technology corp.) but try a book 1st!

5. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Yeah the fan in my year old iBook started whirring last week too. First time it did that and it was also shutting down for no reason. The problem was the Logitech mouse because after I replaced it, it started working fine again. Did you install any new hardware? External monitor, HD, Mouse?

6. dscan99 thread starter macrumors regular

no, nothing new was installed. I don't have an external mouse either.. The only thing is that it was QUITE hot to touch at the bottom.. more than usual. I shut it down the entire night and it booted up fine this morning and no noise from fan. Will have to place it on a book or a hard surface when i get home.