Recommended, somewhat cheap GamePads/Joysticks?

Discussion in 'Games' started by JeDiBoYTJ, Jan 10, 2005.

1. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Im looking for a (somewhat) cheap Gamepad that is similar to the PS2 controler, that I can use with my Powerbook. Any Recommendations?
  2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I recently got a Logitech Wireless Rumblepad for $9.99 and it works fine with certain games like Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4, including the vibration. It didn't work with UT2004 but I'm not sure why you'd want it to work with FPSs.
  3. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    The 'Super dual box' cheap, blue PS/2 adapters work dandily under OS X... detects both controllers, analogue sticks, the works. Why use an imitation? :eek:
  4. imac_japan macrumors member

Jan 21, 2004
    Sega's gamepad is perfect !! I bought one in japan for about $20 american...The are like a console gamepad and are very simple and easy to use !
  5. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana

6. Crowquill macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2005
    It's hard to find a controller that's equal to the Dual Shocks. I haven't been satisfied with any of the USB gamepads I've bought (logitech and even my old Gravis Gamepad pro). PS to USB adapters are great. The easiest ones to find that have worked great for me are the ones from Radio Shack (catalog #26-304). They cost about $10.50. As long as you have the PS pads it's a cheap option too. OS X picks them up as a HID compliant gaming device so you should have no problem using them with any game. I've used them in everything from 10.1 up to Panther. The only downside is that you lose force feedback.
  7. therevolution macrumors 6502

May 12, 2003
    Yeah, adapters are the way to go. This adapter will also let you hook up your PS/PS2 controller to your PC or Mac. I have this one, which appears to be an older version, and it works great.
  8. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2004
    West Valley City, Utah
    I would also suggest the Radio Shack PS to USB adapter. I have bought two of them and I consider them great investments. They have little to no delay time (time from when button is pushed to time it is registered in the game) and at 11 bucks a pop, they are a lot cheaper than a new USB controller.
  9. McGuillicuddy macrumors newbie

Nov 25, 2004
    Cambridge, UK
    Can anybody suggest a controller with analogue triggers? I don't believe the PS2-type controllers have these and the are an absolute necessity for any driving games.
  10. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Jul 5, 2004
    How about Gamecube-to-USB adapters? Any recommendation that works on both OS X and Windows? (haven't bought anything that can't work on both platforms for more than a year now, don't want to lose anything in the switching process).
  11. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    The triggers on the DualShock 2 controllers are pressure sensitiv, so you can use them like analog triggers. The only thing to worry about is whether or not the drivers for the PS2 to USB adapter picks that up. I know when people started writing drivers for the Xbox controller to be used on the PC, pessure sensitivity did not work. They may have fixed this with licensed drivers or OS X might already be able to pick up pressure sensitivity