Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Hello all!

I´m currently looking for a video editing solution, and of course I´m looking into Final Cut Pro but for fast editing there is need for a editing card. Since many pros are reading here, can you people recommend something?

And how is it currently with support for OS X?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
1. What are you going to be editing (MiniDV, Beta, etc.,).

2. Editing cards are a thing of the past. They are all being replaced by software solutions. The only "editing" card in need in the rig is for a/v i/o's.

3. The only editing card for the Mac is the RTMac by Matrox. But it is a dead horse and only works in OS 9.

EDIT: The RTMac is the only con/prosumer level card for the Mac. There are pro cards that cost as much as a G4, but I think that is more than what you need, right?

Lethal

Stike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
For the next time it will be MiniDV.

A friend of mine has a PC with a Canopus card and wonders why everytime I move a clip the audio has to be rendered again. But I stay productive with my Formac Studio and his PC is useless most of the time due to many system problems. If he hadn´t paid a grand for the system he would switch now...

I´m slow but I get the work done... does that mean an editing card is out of question and I should stick with software/FormacStudio solution?

Systems like Media 100 are too expensive for now. Most of the effects provided by those I don´t need anyway.

Chisholm

macrumors regular
May 31, 2002
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
We are moving all video editing suites to Final Cut 3 right now from Media 100. There are way to many headaches and stuff with its Vincent card/driver/OS/keyspan driver/blah/blah/blah. We are using one Sony and a handfull of Panasonic deck firewired straight into the back of the Mac. Cheaper sollution by far.

And oh, the irony. Had a meeting with the powers that be regarding the switch the same day the Media100 8 update arrived in my office.

cheers!

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Aurora ( http://www.auroravideosys.com ) just released beta OS X.2 drivers for their A/V cards. Some of them are real-time, but they are kind-of expensive.

The RTMac would be perfect, especially since the price was practically cut in half awhile ago. But since they're taking their time on the OS X drivers (are you listening Creative Labs?) not a lot of people are wanting to buy them. Then they get to say "see, no one buys our Apple products, so we're discontinuing them". The worst part is, they promised the drivers a long time ago, so those who spent $1000 on the card are out of luck. Formac did the same thing with their video-in card.

So I'd go with one of those firewire A/V in/out if you don't need RT. They're pretty cheap (comparatively). DO NOT use a USB product, unless you need something inexpensive and don't mind the low quality and speed. Or just use the pass through on a firewire camera.

Too bad ATI doesn't have an All-in-Wonder for Macs.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
If all yer using right now is miniDV then you don't need anything else. Just go Firewire. FCP 3 has some RT via software (the amount depends on how fast yer Mac is). The RTMac is dead. I really can't see Matrox releasing OS X drivers for it.

Lethal

Stike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
I see, this is the conclusion... I´ll continue to use the Formac Studio for A/V in/out and Final Cut. There is not much of a choice, right?

Does Premiere any good? My PC friend uses it. Is there even a version for OS X?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Yes there is an OS X version(Premiere was a Mac only before being ported over to the PC years ago, IIRC). But going from FCP to Premiere is a big step backwards IMO. Which version of FCP are you running?

Lethal

Stike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
But going from FCP to Premiere is a big step backwards IMO. Which version of FCP are you running?
Lethal

I don´t know much about Premiere, except the PC guy who says that its good. Is it really a step backwards? To what extent? Which is the current version?
I have FCP 3, and I think its already great...

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Stike

I don´t know much about Premiere, except the PC guy who says that its good. Is it really a step backwards? To what extent? Which is the current version?
I have FCP 3, and I think its already great...

Premiere 6.5 is the most current version. The last version I used was 6. And yes going from FCP to Premiere would really be a step backwards. There is a reason why FCP has caught on like wildfire, and Premiere is just "hangin' around" even though it's been out much longer. Is Premiere a bad program? No. Is FCP a much better program? IMO, yes.

Lethal

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Digital Voodoo cards are superb.

A Digital Voodoo card and FCP are about as good (better, IMHO) than any $50,000 Avid system out there.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
Editing cards are a thing of the past. They are all being replaced by software solutions. The only "editing" card in need in the rig is for a/v i/o's.

err...ummm...check your facts. Most all uncompressed media SD or above requires an "editing" card.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by e-coli

err...ummm...check your facts. Most all uncompressed media SD or above requires an "editing" card.

I was limiting my response to the realm of MiniDV which is what Stike is working with. :)

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.