Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hook85

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2015
Sheffield, UK
I've not used Scrivener extensively for quite some time, but in terms of basic opening files, navigating and such I'm not experiencing any problems with the latest beta.

I can't even open the app here, and there's a whole thread on the scrivener forums about it. It worked in DP1 and DP2, but has been broken for most users since DP3. There is an issue for some people when Scrivener has access to your contacts, but that isn't the case for me and other users.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 17, 2012
Well, I finally got around to watching the Scrivener introductory tutorial videos and test driving both Scrivener and Ulysses to evaluate them for my own purposes.

For me, the winner was Scrivener hands down. While I hope they will refine and modernize the UI in the next version and I'll like the result when they do, I can live with UI as it is. I did not find the wealth of features overwhelming given the way things are laid out in the app. I felt a lot more comfortable with how Scrivener works overall and for me, I like having the wealth of features there available to me but as was mentioned earlier by Traverse, not in my face all the time. It offers me the ability to make it more my own than I felt Ulysses could. A big one for me too was I do not like at all the idea of burying everything all together in one file. In fact, I hate that. I'm also not a big fan of iCloud which needs a lot of work before it can be considered anywhere near on par with Dropbox. I do use it for various Apple Apps (what other option is there for those anyway?) but I will probably spend for Dropbox even though I do need nearly the amount of storage their one-size-fits-all plan offers. I really wish they would break that up into less costly storage tiers. Still, given the alternatives I find it superior to other solutions I have looked at and tried.

It is hard to explain but I felt at home in Scrivener rapidly. I wasn't overwhelmed at all not that there isn't a learning curve and I have not ascended it yet either. Still, just to get started I did not find it at all difficult to understand and use. Ulysses just didn't feel right to me and I am really not enthused about learning or using markdown. I guess if at some point some valid reason for me to want to bother arises I will cross that bridge then but for now I see no benefit to me personally.

As for backups, the way Scrivener does things is good. I want everything I value in the cloud just as offsite storage on top of redundant backups here that begin with Time Machine running 24/7 backing up hourly and occasional copies to an additional external drive just in case. I feel better with my data, media, etc. in three places beyond the internal system storage. I don't see myself needing an iOS version. I can't stand typing on anything but a real keyboard. I don't mind it in small doses for an email or whatever but not to write anything more than that.

In the end, I am set on using the following apps now:

Scrivener which I will probably pickup some time after El Capitan's first couple point releases and when they have it in a stable state with the new OS X.

Growly Notes for all manner of notes and list keeping has replaced Evernote for me. It's a great app and I am surprised it is sold so inexpensively on the Mac App Store by its developer. It is only available for Mac which I am fine with. I love how well it integrates with the system such that it is easy to grab anything off the web or within a file or whatnot and send it to a note I can integrate into my organization of notes later. It dumps these to a scratchpad generic note I pluck stuff from when I get around to it. It is convenient to print directly to Growly notes from apps which can be handy many times. It's also simple to drag file links and graphics into notes. It's similar to OneNote but I like it better. It's well worth a look for anybody wanting an app like this. I purchased this not on sale for only five bucks and consider it a steal at that price.

Text Wrangler I've found to be perfect for plain text editing, just what the doctor ordered.

I've been using Day One for a daily journal/diary and it is a nice simple little app for that but I'll move the journal over to Scrivener at some point. I tend to write long entries at times and Day One has a very annoying inability to handle anything more than small amounts of text gracefully and I do mean small as in you get beyond a couple pages and the page display starts becoming jumpy at which point I generally start another entry for the same day. That is unacceptable for such an app in my opinion. I am surprised it is so well reviewed in light of that but for light duty diary keeping I guess many like it just fine.

I plan to buy Word at a later time. I hope this is still going to be possible vs buying into a subscription. I am not fond of the idea of subscribing to software.

This thread was great and all the feedback was so helpful. I really appreciate the time everyone took to share comments about the options and make suggestions.

Last edited:
Reactions: ixxx69 and Traverse

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Well, I finally got around to watching the Scrivener introductory tutorial videos and test driving both Scrivener and Ulysses to evaluate them for my own purposes.

I'm glad you found the app that works for you, it isn't an easy.

While I hope they will refine and modernize the UI in the next version and I'll like the result when they do, I can live with UI as it is. I did not find the wealth of features overwhelming given the way things are laid out in the app.

I can't get Ulysses out of the back of mind because it is indeed a very slick and modern app. I'm a little annoyed with L&L because although they have promised a Yosemite-style update with or right after the iOS release, they have been silent on what to expect. I would appreciate some "in-progress" screenshots of both the iPad and the new Mac application or something.

Ideally, Scrivener's update would make it slick like Ulysses and the iPad sync would make Ulysses unnecessary for me, so I don't want to spend money on it. One negative is that the Soulmen say that an iPhone app is in the works; I don't think you'll ever see scrivener on the iPhone, but it would be nice to be able to read or make quick edits.

I felt a lot more comfortable with how Scrivener works overall and for me, I like having the wealth of features there available to me but as was mentioned earlier by Traverse, not in my face all the time. It offers me the ability to make it more my own than I felt Ulysses could. A big one for me too was I do not like at all the idea of burying everything all together in one file. In fact, I hate that. I'm also not a big fan of iCloud which needs a lot of work before it can be considered anywhere near on par with Dropbox. I do use it for various Apple Apps (what other option is there for those anyway?) but I will probably spend for Dropbox even though I do need nearly the amount of storage their one-size-fits-all plan offers. I really wish they would break that up into less costly storage tiers. Still, given the alternatives I find it superior to other solutions I have looked at and tried.

It is hard to explain but I felt at home in Scrivener rapidly. I wasn't overwhelmed at all not that there isn't a learning curve and I have not ascended it yet either. Still, just to get started I did not find it at all difficult to understand and use. Ulysses just didn't feel right to me and I am really not enthused about learning or using markdown. I guess if at some point some valid reason for me to want to bother arises I will cross that bridge then but for now I see no benefit to me personally.

Well said. Most apps require you to learn the entire app or try to wrap your head around many things all at once to start using the software. Scrivener is very different. I just started using its basic functions (files in the Binder, text in the editor). I gradually began utilizing more features, not because they were there, but because I genuinely wanted to use them. This really makes a big difference in how software feels and, like you said, you felt right at home with it. And I too don't really love the idea of storing all my stuff in iCloud, even if there is automatic backups. All the professional reviews back in March (initially launch) and even current App Stores reviews mention some syncing issues. I believe this is iCloud's wacky handling more so than a developer issue. iCloud just isn't ready to compete with Dropbox for me. Apple changes how it works every few years. It lacks consistency, reliability, and trust.

I am trying to write Markdown even in Scrivener, because it really is a universal text language. I wish Scrivener supported syntax highlighting like Ulysses (so when I make something **bold** in markdown I don't have to bold it manually), but Scrivener is not built as a markdown editor. I'm using Marked 2 from the app store which can open .scriv files and provide a live markdown preview of what you're writing in Scrivener in real time! I'm thinking of backing off of markdown though. Scrivener has a really nice feature that will convert all of your bold and italics into markdown syntax for you and then you can export the text. This allows you to write like a traditional word processor and keep the very basics of markdown available and I can manually add one "#" for each title. Most of my writing will never leave Scrivener (at least my Journal won't), so why not write with WYSIWYG with actual bolds and paragraph alignments and make it aesthetically pleasing to me, since I'm the only one who will see it. Ulysses seems to be more geared toward putting your writing in and exporting it out; more of a middleman. To me, Scrivener seems better suited to be an end-location for all your text (with the option to export it if you want). For instance, Scrivener allows you to create inter-file hyperlinks. I can be writing in one sheet and create a link to another sheet within that project. This will let me create my own dynamic, offline..um...book/site? (not the best word, but you get the idea) I can insert images and view them in the text with Scrivener whereas Ulysses hides them under an tag until you double click them. Again, Ulysses is more streamlined to dump your text and export out, but Scrivener is more geared towards styling it like you want to see it. I do find that Ulysses seems a little more friendly to just "start writing" than Scrivener, but it just takes some discipline.

One of the best things about Ulysses, is also it's weakness, in my opinion. Ulysses adds many more dynamic features in their proprietary "Markdown XL." It can handle comments, images, etc. very easily and in an aesthetically pleasing manner, but that kind of defeats the entire purpose of markdown, as does their hidden one library approach. Markdown was made to be a universal plaintext language that allowed for human-readable formats and easy transfer between different markdown apps and platforms. Ulysses makes you use markdown, but then locks you in anyway. Meh. Scrivener is even worse about proprietary formats, but when you use Scrivener you don't really have an expectation of universality or compatibility. That expectation works against Ulysses, IMO.

Sorry, long-winded again.

I've been using Day One for a daily journal/diary and it is a nice simple little app for that but I'll move the journal over to Scrivener at some point. I tend to write long entries at times and Day One has a very annoying inability to handle anything more than small amounts of text gracefully and I do mean small as in you get beyond a couple pages and the page display starts becoming jumpy at which point I generally start another entry for the same day. That is unacceptable for such an app in my opinion. I am surprised it is so well reviewed in light of that but for light duty diary keeping I guess many like it just fine.

I just bought Day One for Mac today for $4.99. I know I want to start a daily journal for when I'm older, but I've been too lazy and I got caught up in deciding what apps to use for what purpose (I obsessed way too much on that). I got Day One for iOS free through a promotion a while back, but never used it. I don't think it was meant for long writing, I thought it was meant for multiple quick entires? I am debating between Scrivener as a daily diary or Day One. Day One is slick and handles location and weather data very well. It can insert images on the fly and sync with you, but Scrivener seems like it will handle complexities better. I am considering using Day One throughout the day and then copying that information over into my "real" dairy in Scrivener at night. That seems like a lot of work though.

I read about someone who used Scrivener as a diary a while back. They made a new project for each year, a folder for each month, and then sheets for each day. Scrivener's lack of an iPhone and iPad app hurt it here though because you can't add on the fly. Still, I'm not comfortable with dumping everything in Day One and having it stored in Dropbox. I would like to keep some writing offline in Scrivener.

Apple's new notes app looks nice. I may just make a folder in that for quick photos and notes/thoughts throughout the day and move those into Scrivener at night (instead of using Day One for this). That eliminates a third party app. I don't know.

NonSoft

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2015
While I hope they will refine and modernize the UI in the next version and I'll like the result when they do, I can live with UI as it is. I did not find the wealth of features overwhelming given the way things are laid out in the app. I felt a lot more comfortable with how Scrivener works overall and for me, I like having the wealth of features there available to me but as was mentioned earlier by Traverse, not in my face all the time.

I'm not sure how dramatic the changes will be, but by the developers own admission the UI isn't very good at just getting out of the way and letting you write and that is one thing they aim to tackle with the new version. Given my preferences towards a more intuitive/streamlined UI, I'm quite excited for this, but I'm curious what the people who like to have everything at this disposal at all times will think of it.

I think it makes sense that a lot of users feel at home in Scrivener. At it's very base, it's like Word on steroids. Almost everyone is familiar with that sort of interface as it's the classic/standard for electronic writing. Ulysses on the other hand is very... different (For better or worse), so the adjustment period is certainly going to be more pronounced for those who prefer something more Word-esque.

In the end, I am set on using the following apps now:
Wow, that's quite the arsenal of writing tools at your disposal. :)

I can't get Ulysses out of the back of mind because it is indeed a very slick and modern app. I'm a little annoyed with L&L because although they have promised a Yosemite-style update with or right after the iOS release, they have been silent on what to expect. I would appreciate some "in-progress" screenshots of both the iPad and the new Mac application or something.

This part is very strange to me. I check in on their forums every so often, and I'm always surprised by how coy they are about what will be in the new version. I would love to see a few basic shots of what they have planned for the UI.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
This part is very strange to me. I check in on their forums every so often, and I'm always surprised by how coy they are about what will be in the new version. I would love to see a few basic shots of what they have planned for the UI.

Exactly. If the iOS app is indeed "feature complete" as they say, then all later changes should just be under the hood bug fixes. They should have some screenshots to share. I don't know how much along the Yosemite-style refresh is, but I think the initial steps (replacing the old icon and menubar assets with newer ones) wouldn't take too much effort.

What will be difficult is changing the fundamentals of the UI. Like the app's flow and sidebar layout. I actually don't think they will. I simply see them replacing icons and gradients.

NonSoft

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2015
What will be difficult is changing the fundamentals of the UI. Like the app's flow and sidebar layout. I actually don't think they will. I simply see them replacing icons and gradients.

Good point, since they don't say exactly what the change entails all I can do is speculate. However, I've seen a few posts in the last few months by the devs like this:
Remember that you don't need to use everything - even I don't use everything. Just use what works for you. One thing I am working on is trying to streamline things to keep things out of users' way until they need them.

These make me think there are big UI changes in store, but it's not entirely clear.

Reactions: Traverse

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Good point, since they don't say exactly what the change entails all I can do is speculate. However, I've seen a few posts in the last few months by the devs like this:

These make me think there are big UI changes in store, but it's not entirely clear.

I'm really looking forward to it, but there hasn't even been a notice of a public beta for the iOS app, which they said would come first. I've quit caring to be honest. I'll just keeping using Scrivener on OS X and will be delightfully surprised at any updates and when the iPad apps finally comes, but I'm just going to forget about it. Their communication hasn't been what it should be.

Ulysses' blog is regularly updated.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Another Scrivener fan here. This combined with IA Writer (basic version) on iPads, plus Notability and Noteshelf for handwritten notes etc, is a great combination for me.

I did buy Ulysses for both Mac and iPad ... I'm intending to do some writing in Markdown, and so it will be good for that, and i love the dark mode, but Scrivener suits me better for all other writing.

I love writing on iPads when I am just writing, not concerned with editing, structure, or even typos and spelling etc, so I don't have to touch the screen, just write. The iPad is so portable with a keyboard case, with internet onboard, and it wouldn't be such a tragedy if someone (including myself) in a cafe knocked water or coffee into a relatively cheap Logitech keyboard, rather than my MBPr!

On the iPads I write in IA Writer, save it to Dropbox, then import that to Scrivener. Easy.
When writing on my MBPr I have a Dell 24inch external screen on the side for research materials and other things, an iPad on the other side with my handwritten notes and for internet etc.
I have finally found a great stand for my MBPr - Rain Design iLevel2, it has a lever that adjusts the height, fully extended it is perfect eye-level height for me, using an Apple keyboard, external trackpad, and Logitech mouse.

Concerned to hear that Scrivener is breaking in the last OS X beta software ... hopefully this will be sorted before the public release.

Like others here, I was looking forward to Scrivener for iPad, but now I might not even get it when it eventually arrives. I really love IA Writer, it's all I need for writing on an iPad, and the Dropbox integration is excellent.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 17, 2012
I'm not sure how dramatic the changes will be, but by the developers own admission the UI isn't very good at just getting out of the way and letting you write and that is one thing they aim to tackle with the new version.

I'm not at all put off by the UI really and I think the various points you touched upon do play into that as you noted. I did just want to add in response to this while I do still look forward to seeing an updated UI it is easy enough to clear all distractions with a distraction-free writing mode/view as I've noted a variety of products feature now. So one can make everything but the page they are writing on disappear until they want to use other features. That said, I could still appreciate an argument for UI improvements for those times when some significant feature such a viewing research notes at the same time as writing something would benefit significantly from an improved UI.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
I always avoid Scrivener because I can't access my draft without the Macbook. I know that yes i can write and import the IA Writer files via dropbox but what about the other way round? Ulysses at least syncs between Mac and iPad

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I always avoid Scrivener because I can't access my draft without the Macbook. I know that yes i can write and import the IA Writer files via dropbox but what about the other way round? Ulysses at least syncs between Mac and iPad

In Scrivener you can set up a folder sync with Dropbox and it works both ways. This is what I've done and I can dip into my drafts on my iPhone, iPad, home/work Macs or even any PC with an Internet connection. I only use Scrivener about 10% of the time. The rest is a selection of writing apps. Although Ulysses sounds fine to I really appreciate being able to vary the writing app from time to time. Current favourite is 1Writer on iOS. It's pretty much perfect for txt files.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Yes I just remembered to try it. The trick is to sync folder again before you go back to writing in Scriv, I guess.

Of course I tried it in the new IA Writer 3.0 but doesn't seem to work because Scriv is using RTF files...

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
And.... that's just a Scriv setting. Changed it to do the external folder in plain text and off we go!

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
The trick is to sync folder again before you go back to writing in Scriv, I guess.

This is indeed the trick. Scriv syncs when opening a project, but not when you simply return to it after leaving it open a while. I've trained myself to sync often, but in case of slip-up Dropbox has your back via its previous versions feature.

For Dropbox refuseniks I should say this Scrivener feature works on any folder, so it's good for any other syncing service.

Now just hoping the upcoming iOS Scrivener doesn't complicate my (almost) perfect setup.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
How do you get your chalkboard/synopsis cards into the other app? Can't seem to find them in the Folder sync? I have lots of notes for unwritten chapters on them at mo...

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
I hope I’m not too late to add my own two cents in the thread.

I don’t know too much about Ulysses, but I’ve been using Scrivener for almost six years. To be honest, at first I was confused, especially with how much it gives you at its disposal, but picked it up within a week or two. You don’t need to know everything that Scrivener has in the first day.

What I like is that Scrivener doesn’t tell you how or where to write. There are templates, but you don’t have to follow them, I like to start on the blank template so I can organize a project in the way that I want to. That way, if you want characters all in one area, you can do that, or if you want each character to have their own separate history, that’s good too. There are many ways to organize your data, and you won’t get lost, with the dashboard having all the basics at hand.

In terms of the chapters themselves, you can break them up by chapter, scene, and makes editing way easier, with snapshots, notes within each document, and can handle thousands of pages of text without crashing. It made writing novels much easier than if I just used Pages or Word. Talking about Word, you can transfer your document to Word, or just about any other format you can think of once you’re done.

As of right now, Scrivener has no iOS version, although they have said they were going to have one for a while, so if having the exact same app on each platform is really important, Scrivener is a minus. However, you can always use other writing apps on iOS and transfer it later.

As a side note, both Scrivener and Ulysses are running specials right now for National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo, which is in November. They have trial versions that will last until early December, so you’ll have a bit over two months to play around with each, and if you participate and win, you’ll be able to get a discount on the full version.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
While Ulysses is simpler and doesn't have the file-card/synopsis view that makes Scriv work, its interaction with iCloud and the iPad version is seamless and brilliant, and made it totally worthwhile for me.

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
I know the OP has settled on a workflow, at least a temporary one that seems to be working for him/her; and although I can not cover the subject in as extensive a manner as traverse, I nonetheless wanted to back up scrivener.

I use it to write academic papers and no other piece of software comes close to its power. When the OP mentioned that he also wanted (I'm assuming harry) a simple complete focus-on-writing software, I couldn't avoid thinking of WriteRoom (Mac and iOS apps available).

So, there you have my too-late 2 cents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.