Recompile kernel w/ New IBM Compilers = Faster OSX?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by maclamb, Jan 15, 2004.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

With the release of the new IBM compilers I wonder if recompiling the mac kernel with the c compiler will result in a significantly faster OS? There are articles on Macbytes about doing this (recompiling) and I wonder if anyone knows.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I doubt that you would notice the difference since time wasted is in the upper, visible layers.

Re-compiling QuickTime, OpenGL, Quartz, etc. would probably make a small, but noticeable difference.

3. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

And we don't have the source for those programs....

Thanks.

BTW -
    Is your tag line an infinite loop?

and why the "duh" suffice for your spelling of FL? I have my suspiciions - but wanted to ask...

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

(1) 1 Infinte Loop--Apple's address.

(2) I'm extremely impressed with the thought-provoking attitude of the majority of Floridians--or something like that. :D

Remember the last presidential election? Even with the new voting machines since then, there were problems with people not being able to vote correctly. It should be interesting to see the headlines after the presidential election. We may once again see "Floriduh" on newspapers everywhere. :D

5. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

thank you - I thought that was it.
    I was working at Apple just as they were finsihing it - nice campus of white buildings I remember with large decortive "Icons" on the lawn. But haven't been there ini over 10 years.

Yes, one would have thought Jeb could have made a cleaner job of it..
    You have seen Cringely's columns on touchscreen voting machines, I assume?

Rare that I get to talk with a "demi-god". While I have you - it seems certain for apple to release new product new week. How much do you think the Dual 1.8 G5 will drop? It's currently 2499 - with my ADC discount I can get it for 1999. Do you think they might drop it as much as $400? I'm waiting - I could get the 1.6 now -but am hoping with the drop to get a 1.8 DP for the same price...

Seeing "demi-god" I think of one of my fav lines in Groundhog Day - "I'm _a_ God, not _the_ God...

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I would not suggest a 1.6 GHz G5 in any case.

The current machines will probably drop $100-$300 once new machines arrive and as they say, only while supplies last. The ADC discount is a better way to go, especially with new machines coming any time now. Remember to wait a few weeks for an announcement. I'd don't like saying "if you waited a few weeks..." I jumped on the first Wallstreet PowerBooks and still regret that.

I don't read Cringely's columns much anymore. Things seem so different lately. I used to read those and Spencer Katt's and Michael Swaine's as soon as they arrived but there's not much to it all now, for me at least.

By the way, the Demi God thing is a for-pay thing. I'm no one special here, but thanks for making me feel that way.