Reconnecting iPod without disconnecting and reconnecting

Discussion in 'iPod' started by M. Malone, Dec 24, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

ok, I'm not sure if someone brought this up, this may be a stupid question, but here goes:

Let's say I have my ipod connected to my mac, and I ejected it. how can I get it back into the OS without having to disconnect the cable then reconnecting it?

side question: I have both USB2 and Firewire cables for my iPod, what is better to use? the reason I ask this is cause I never use the firewire port on my mac, as opposed to my USB which I'm always swapping USB cables from. Is there an advantage of using one over the other?

Thanks

2. macrumors 68000

dsharits

Simply quit iTunes and open it back up and your iPod will be back in the list and on the desktop (if you have disk usage activated) :)

Personally, I much prefer FireWire over USB, because USB is controlled by the CPU which can degrade overall performance during transfers, but FireWire has an independent controller so that it doesn't bog anything else down.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Very cool, it works! thank you, and it looks like I'll just stick to the Firewire. :D

4. macrumors 68000

dsharits

My pleasure. Enjoy!

5. macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

If only you could... none of the current iPods support FireWire. I reckon FireWire is a much better form of connectivity, and it was a bad move by Apple to drop it. Whatever happened to being cautious about adding features because you can't take them away? grr...

6. macrumors 68000

dsharits

I believe he was talking about his current iPod, but yes, I agree that it was a horrible move to drop FireWire support for the new iPods. They should have remained USB/FW supportive, but there's not much we can do now.