reconvert mkv?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by steelfist, Jan 16, 2007.

1. steelfist macrumors 6502a

I have a couple of MKV files that are just a bit too big to fit on my dvd. I'm planning on reconverting a couple of them into mkv again, but i can't find any good guides on the matroska main webpage, and can't find any programs to do it either.

i don't know how to do command line, and i don't know how to reconvert them. i can't rar them or zip them or watching it on another computer would be a pain, and it still won't fit.

i heard of demuxing and converting the video and audio files seperatly and merging it together. any way of doing this free? also, i don't know how to find out what audio and video that's inside of my videos. can anybody help?

2. steelfist thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is rather annoying, is mkv really that unsupported in the mac community?

3. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Yeah, it's that unsupported. VLC can play the files, but I don't know of any app to convert it :(

4. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

I think VLC actually managed to successfully convert MKV to a quicktime format for me before, so it might be able to re-encode it... Go File > Streaming/Exporting Wizard in VLC and try it out.

5. CrashRay macrumors newbie

CrashRay

You can remove some language or some subtitle of your mkv.
    You can also remove attachements.
    You can use my program iMkvExtract (FRE)
    Direct link.
    The program is in english.

I create a FAQ about MKV. You have explanation how to do this :
    FAQ on Mkv4Mac (ENG)

And for example you have the answer of the question :