Record & capture video game footage

Discussion in 'Games' started by mxrider108, Feb 16, 2007.

1. mxrider108 macrumors newbie

I am looking to hook up my Xbox 360 console to my mac for the purpose of recording and editing game footage. There can't be much latency at all because that would make controlling the game very difficult.

Originally I was looking at the EyeTv Hybrid device, because I don't need anything amazing. I know the EyeTv Hybrid will let you play games on your mac, but can you record them? Would there be lag if I used it to record?

If anyone has any other hardware options that would be better for this please let me know-- but preferably not super expensive.

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You can play the game laglessly, but when you record lag is introduced, a second or two.

My setup is a signal splitter- I hook my Wii up to the TV and the Mac at the same time. There's lag on the Mac, but I can play on the TV just fine and it records on the Mac.

3. mxrider108 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks. I think I will get a S-video splitter and set up my 360 like you have your Wii. One other quick question though: Does the EyeTv Hybrid have the software I need to record gameplay included in the box or, if not, where would I go to find what I'm looking for?

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's got everything.

Be warned; I'm sure you know already, but anything you hook up to S-Video will be 480i. It won't look near as good as on an HDTV.

But yeah, my setup works. I have a Miglia TVMicro, practically the same thing (even uses EyeTV's software), except RF-only.