Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung announced fourth quarter operating profits of $7.9 billion in its earnings call on Tuesday, 50 percent higher than the same period a year ago.

The number was in line with Samsung's guidance earlier in the month and reflects record-high earnings from its memory chip division, glossing over the company's fire-prone Note7 woes, which are said to have cost it at least $5 billion since the third quarter.

But the results also come on the back of strong sales of the company's Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge phones, apparently confirming reports that suggested most consumers stayed loyal to the brand despite the absence of the Note7, which was considered to be the closest rival to Apple's iPhone 7.

samsung-800-new-800x269.jpg

Samsung said its mobile division generated $2.1 billion in operating income over the last three months of 2016 - an increase of 12 percent over Q4 2015 - while its display business racked up $1.1 billion, thanks to rising demand for the company's OLED mobile displays. (Samsung is also said be the sole supplier of the displays for the 2017 iPhone 8.)

During Samsung's conference call, the company offered a preview of its mobile business plans for the year. As expected, Samsung said its next round of smartphones would include voice-activated artificial intelligence features - leaks suggest the Siri-like feature will be called "Bixby". The South Korean firm also said it would be releasing a phone with a "differentiated design", leading some to speculate that a rumored foldable handset is almost ready for market.

The results appeared unaffected by the scandal surrounding Samsung president Park Geun-hye, who is under investigation over alleged bribes paid to an associate to win support for a merger of affiliates in 2015.

Article Link: Record Chip Profits Boost Samsung's Fourth Quarter Earnings

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Creative accounting at it's best.

One of the most corrupt companies around today.

What makes this accounting report creative? The way I see it is the S7 likely did very well and helped maintain sales with the Note unavailable.

Serious question(s). Can you provide evidence on why Samsung is corrupted? Are other companies less corrupt than Samsung or are you fear mongering?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Serious question(s). Can you provide evidence on why Samsung is corrupted? Are other companies less corrupt than Samsung or are you fear mongering?

It's possible that triton100 may be referring to the Samsung/Korea corruption scandal. However the less discussed about that, the better, as it'll be pushing this thread towards PRSI territory. :)

Reactions: mejsric

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's possible that triton100 may be referring to the Samsung/Korea corruption scandal. However the less discussed about that, the better, as it'll be pushing this thread towards PRSI territory. :)

I'm not sure. That's why I asked. Making the generalized comment he did, leaves open ended questions without any clarification.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's all pretty well known.

But when your company represents 33% of the GDP of your country, you basically are the country, and countries don't go to jail.

Then that topic would fall under PRSI, not the generalized comment made by Triton. It wasn't clear what he was referring too. As mentioned by KeysofAnxiety.

Last edited:
Reactions: 69Mustang

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
What makes this accounting report creative? The way I see it is the S7 likely did very well and helped maintain sales with the Note unavailable.

I don't have time to dig out specific research reports though I'm sure they are fairly easy to find. Samsung is generally known for manipulating their sales figures in a multitude of creative ways in order to appease share holders and create a hologram of earnings growth.

They run the country. If Samsung go down. Heads roll. Literally.

Yes some other companies are corrupt. In this world you have good. You have bad. In all walks of life. Doesn't make it acceptable.

The company that wrote an internal manual on how to copy the iPhone deserves no respect.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Creative accounting at it's best.
Huh? And here I thought most of the creative accounting occurred in Ireland.:rolleyes:

On topic: Their decent quarter is more easily explained by the facts (9to5 link contains actual statement) in the post instead of creative accounting. I mean, if they were so creative, they should have been using that creativity when they were reporting multiple successive quarters of decline. The S7/Edge was a success. Their chip division was a success. Their dispaly division had great success (Apple orders? Can't say for sure, but I think so). The Note fiasco hurt, but the Note was never their bread and butter. It has always been their S series. Their next quarter may not be as bright since they got kicked in the balls by Sharp/Foxconn when Sharp cancelled all their orders for LCD panels (TV's). That was pretty sneaky, but just business.

tl;dr schadenfreude must be found elsewhere.:)

One of the most corrupt companies around today.
Samsung's history isn't germane to the topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 44267547

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2014
It's all pretty well known.

But when your company represents 33% of the GDP of your country, you basically are the country, and countries don't go to jail.

Lol where did you get 33%? Samsung Conglomerate may be around 20% but those companies are not really one entity.

There ar many other economy driving corporations such as SK, Hyundai/Kia, POSCO, Hanjin, LG, CJ, KT, Hyosung, Lotte, Hanhwa just to name a few that should make up well over 90%.

But yes. Significantly big corp nonetheless.

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
Huh? And here I thought most of the creative accounting occurred in Ireland.:rolleyes:

On topic: Their decent quarter is more easily explained by the facts (9to5 link contains actual statement) in the post instead of creative accounting. I mean, if they were so creative, they should have been using that creativity when they were reporting multiple successive quarters of decline. The S7/Edge was a success. Their chip division was a success. Their dispaly division had great success (Apple orders? Can't say for sure, but I think so). The Note fiasco hurt, but the Note was never their bread and butter. It has always been their S series. Their next quarter may not be as bright since they got kicked in the balls by Sharp/Foxconn when Sharp cancelled all their orders for LCD panels (TV's). That was pretty sneaky, but just business.

tl;dr schadenfreude must be found elsewhere.:)

Samsung's history isn't germane to the topic.

Ok mr 'on topic / off topic' patrol police. Although I do believe it is somewhat related.

As for apple's 'creative accounting in Ireland' - it is legal. No creativity needed. End of story.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
Ok mr 'on topic / off topic' patrol police. Although I do believe it is somewhat related.
You can comment about whatever you please and believe whatever you want. I'm not stopping you. Just like I can comment however I please. You think they fudged their 4th qtr numbers. I don't. Evidence backs my claim. I'm really not sure what back yours.

As for apple's 'creative accounting in Ireland' - it is legal. No creativity needed. End of story.
Legal? Not according to the Irish courts.;)

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
You can comment about whatever you please and believe whatever you want. I'm not stopping you. Just like I can comment however I please. You think they fudged their 4th qtr numbers. I don't. Evidence backs my claim. I'm really not sure what back yours.

Legal? Not according to the Irish courts.;)

Huh ? I think you are confused with the European courts that are challenging the tax system within Ireland not the Irish judicial system. Ireland instigated the tax deal and want it to continue. :confused:

Reactions: BlueParadox

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
You're right. Apologies. Point still stands. Ireland is still in the EU. EU courts says illegal. Ipso facto not legal.
No the EU has no legal authority to challenge Ireland's tax rates. EU is unhappy about Ireland's special hand shake deal of incentives with apple which is 'off topic'. Anyway bla bla bla. It's all a little boring - agree to disagree etc etc Have a nice day :)

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
You're right. Apologies. Point still stands. Ireland is still in the EU. EU courts says illegal. Ipso facto not legal.
Is that how it works in the EU? In the US if a state says something is legal, and the federal government says it's illegal it doesn't automatically become illegal. The federal government doesn't get final say at the law, but the EU does? Weird.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
No the EU has no legal authority to challenge Ireland's tax rates. EU is unhappy about Ireland's special hand shake deal of incentives with apple which is 'off topic'. Anyway bla bla bla. It's all a little boring - agree to disagree etc etc Have a nice day :)
But what about the 4th qtr report?:( Nah just messin' witcha. Enjoy your day as well.
[doublepost=1485266357][/doublepost]
Is that how it works in the EU? In the US if a state says something is legal, and the federal government says it's illegal it doesn't automatically become illegal. The federal government doesn't get final say at the law, but the EU does? Weird.
Dude I have no idea. As you can see from my convo with Triton, I am out of my depth regarding the EU and legal matters. As for the US, fed trumps state (pun intended). Supremacy Clause

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Dude I have no idea. As you can see from my convo with Triton, I am out of my depth regarding the EU and legal matters. As for the US, fed trumps state (pun intended). Supremacy Clause

Well that's misleading to say. The feds have to prove that they have the right to enforce such a law and even then they usually can only set minimum expectations. States can set stricter laws if they want. Source: your link.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
Well that's misleading to say. The feds have to prove that they have the right to enforce such a law and even then they usually can only set minimum expectations. States can set stricter laws if they want. Source: your link.
The key there is if there is a conflict between state and federal law, federal law supercedes state law with the US Supreme Court having the final say.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Why are so many people butt hurt that Samsung is doing good? Even after one of the most disastrous phone launches in gadget history they still managed to kick butt and take names. Demand for the Note line is so high their still keeping the name Note 8 for their next flagship phablet.
I have a iPhone 7 Plus but I welcome the competition in 2017. If Apple releases another "S" model I'm jumping the Apple ship. I can already guarantee that Note 8 will be phone of the year by many in the industry and the biggest seller that Samsung ever had. With the S8 and Note 8 Samsung will be unstoppable unless the competition can fight back. This is what competition is all about!!!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You asked to provide evidence.
Evidence was provided.

Slight alteration. I asked Triton to clarify his distinction, not you . Unless you can speak for him, which your clearly not Triton. And he responded after the fact of your post in #10, clarifying any questions.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I don't have time to dig out specific research reports though I'm sure they are fairly easy to find. Samsung is generally known for manipulating their sales figures in a multitude of creative ways in order to appease share holders and create a hologram of earnings growth.

They run the country. If Samsung go down. Heads roll. Literally.

Yes some other companies are corrupt. In this world you have good. You have bad. In all walks of life. Doesn't make it acceptable.

The company that wrote an internal manual on how to copy the iPhone deserves no respect.

Some? They all are....

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Slight alteration. I asked Triton to clarify his distinction, not you . Unless you can speak for him, which your clearly not Triton. And he responded after the fact of your post in #10, clarifying any questions.

You did ask:

given this is a public forum and not a private chat I replied to your comment, with extensive arguments that I hope you enjoyed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.