Record internet stream and transfer to iPod

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Dr. Dastardly, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

My girlfriend wants to be able to listen to the talk show Loveline on her iPod because she is usally out or asleep at the time it is on. Idealy she would like to be able to transfer it onto her iPod while she worked out and be able to listen to it fully.
    Recently the radio station that carries the show is now streaming audio over the internet so I wouldn't need to record it in FM, just an internet stream recorder that would work on a timer would be great.
    I have searched for an answear and have found a couple of solutions including Audio Hijack and the Griffin FM tuner but I would REALLY like a free alternative if anyone could recommend it. Any platform would work, Mac or PC seeing as I have both.
    If there is no free solution Hijack seemed like one of the best solutions and was wondering if anyone else has used this in the way I would use it for. Any input would be appreciated!

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

If it's a shoutcast stream, then use 'streamripper' (I use is for WAMU.org). If it's plain mp3, them 'wget' and the url of interest will do it. I have a 'cron' job set up to record 4 hours of old time radio from WAMU every Sunday night for my wife; it (streamripper) works like a champ. I can give you more details on my config, if you need it.

P.S. Please stop punching yourself (or whoever it is).
    P.P.S That's not from "Fight Club", is it?

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I've used wiretap a few times http://www.ambrosiasw.com/ and it seems to work well. I haven't used it in a few months though so it may have been updated, and it's free!

4. hkala macrumors member

audio hijack will also do the job.

ha..didn't see that u posted that about hijack.
    yeah, i used hijack a couple times and it works great.
    records right into itunes...holla.