Record Radio on a Mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dukemeiser, Jan 3, 2004.

1. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

Does anyone know of a product that is Mac friendly that can record radio? As in AM/FM radio? Kinda like a TiVo for radio. Probably connect via USB?

There are several radio programs I would like to record on my Mac and listen to later on my iPod. I could also skip through the ads.

2. SBG88 macrumors regular

Griffentech has been ready to ship the 'radioshark' for about a year now. That is exactly what you're looking for but don't hold your breath.

3. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

well until then you could just record the audio from the radio you have now by simply plugging the into the line in on your mac, or via a USB audio input like the Griffin iMic if your mac doesn't have line in. any basic audio editor will let you record and export in a variety of formats. i suggest a free one or something like a lite version of Peak or Spark.

4. dukemeiser thread starter macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

You're right, RadioShark is just what I was looking for. I would guess they're still trying to complete the software.

I hope they don't cancel it like they just canceled iFM Radio.

5. SBG88 macrumors regular

6. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Although I don't do this, I have all the software and hardware to make it happen if I wanted to. I use it to record satellite radio, but not on a timed basis, and it's not nearly as elegant a solution as the Radio Shark, but it gets the job done.

Basically, I have a line out-line in connection between my radio and PowerMac (although the iMic will let you do this with USB). I use Sound Studio to record from line in, and it works great. For another use, I recently purchased Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack Pro. It will let you do timed recording from any program. I use iCal's alarm feature that lets you open files in conjunction with some simple Applescripts to start and stop a number of streamed broadcasts at certain hours of the day. Maybe you could take it one further and use iCal to start and stop recordings.

7. dukemeiser thread starter macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

That's a real good idea. And it would work great. But it would only work for one radio station. I'm not in my house the entire day. Ideally, I'd like to record two shows during the day, both on separate stations. So, unless I happen to be inside to switch stations, it will only work somewhat. :(

I am really hoping for RadioShark. [crosses fingers]

8. Awimoway macrumors 65816

On my stereo, I can leave for work with one station running and set the wake-up alarm to any other preset station. If you need to record only two stations, it seems like that would work.

9. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

if you wouldn't mind, i'd love to take a look at your scripts. i'm currently developing (trying to) a little AppleScript Studio app with a friend that will allow users of Nicecast to control their broadcasts remotely over the web. we hadn't thought of bringing iCal into the picture, might help out with a few things. maybe send me a PM if you get a chance. thanks!

:)

10. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Well, they're nothing fancy, and in some cases a little kludgy (I get error messages that pop up sometimes about "Can't open expected file type" or something, but the apps open and close despite the error messages, so I don't care). They were the first and only Applescripts I've ever written. But I'll put everything up for you so you can see how I make it work.

I'll PM about where to send them.

11. Bmode macrumors regular

Once you get your radio/sound into the Mac, use Wiretap to record. A straight, clean and simple app...and it's free. Use quicktime to edit if you need.