Record screen video with sound?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by 2012Tony2012, Jan 23, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

Is there an free App on Mac that allows me to record a video playing on any website in Safari with sound as well?

2. macrumors member

iThinksimple

why not use browser add on / extension, it's more easy and off course free,

3. macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

Your comment was no help at all. :mad: Incomplete and lacking information.

4. macrumors member

iThinksimple

5. macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

6. macrumors 68000

James Craner

One of the best screen recording programs for Mac is Screenflow, but it is not free.

If you want to go cheap then you can use Quicktime to do screen capture. This application comes with all Macs. It will allow you to capture video and audio from a Microphone ( internal or external), but not the system audio. Under the file menu > New Screen Recording.

However there is a way to record system audio as well.

Soundflower allows you to route system audio into Quicktime.

Install Soundflower-- http://cycling74.com/products/soundflower/ (instructions for use) and http://code.google.com/p/soundflower/downloads/list (application)-- to add system audio (core audio) inputs to the line-in and microphone options already present in QuickTime Player (i.e., QuickTime 10). Once it's installed,

1. System Preferences > Sound > Output. Select Soundflower (2ch).
    2. Open QT and begin a New Screen Recording. In the Screen Recording window, click the dialogue triangle on the right. Under Microphone, select Soundflower (2ch).
    3. Begin your screen recording.

Note, however, that you won't be able to hear system audio while using Soundflower as a QT input--the audio that was going to your speakers is now going into QT instead. When you finish your recording, go back to System Preferences > Sound > Output to route the audio back to Internal Speakers or your usual default audio output.

7. macrumors newbie

Screen audio/video capture

Try Snap Pro Z.

8. macrumors 68000

James Craner

I presume you mean SnapzPro X :)

I used to use SnapzPro X before Screenflow existed, but Screenflow can do so much more than a mere screen capture program like SnapzPro - it is almost a full blown movie editor as well.

9. macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

using QuickTime is horrible, whenever I start recording the screen and playing a video from a website, the video starts lagging and playing choppy!! Besides it doesn't record sound.:(