Record using iSight

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by robotrenegade, Jun 27, 2003.

1. robotrenegade macrumors 6502a

Is there a free app out there that is good for recording with iSight? Please provide link.

2. 000111one111000 macrumors regular

I don't have an iSight or anything, but have you tried using QuickTime Broadcaster? It's free from Apple. Just go to the QuickTime section and download it.

Again, I don't have an iSight, so I haven't tried this myself, but QuickTime Broadcaster does have an "archive" option, allowing you to record the video to the hard drive for viewing later.

enoch

3. robotrenegade thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok i can see myself but when i hit broadcast i get this error. I've never used this program before.
    [​IMG]

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I get the same error too. I suggest you try demos of BTV pro, securitycam? , Oculus and EvoCam...they all have nice features and you can have decent demo provelages with the shareware.

5. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

I don't have an iSight yet, but I read this article on the O'Reilly Network this morning that should give you lots of info.

One of the first comments posted (about halfway down the page) describes how to record with Quicktime Broadcaster. All of this looks really interesting... I can't wait to get one of these to play with!

6. szark macrumors 68030

szark

IMHO, the demo of EvoCam works very well. Haven't tried the others.

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i actualyl saw that article yesterday but didn't know how to work with the script perhaps someone here could explain it and why i'm getting the over error

8. robotrenegade thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys I downloaded BTW PRO CARBON and it works great!!!!:D

9. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

In case anyone's interested, the iSight does not work with iMovie. It doesn't output the DV format video that iMovie needs. See this AppleCare document for more details.

(I also wouldn't be a bit surprised if someone created a "video converter" app to work around this...)

10. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

don't need to download that script to record clips

Yoy don't need to download that script to record clips of yourself.

I was getting that error too. In the "network" setting make sure you have selected "manual". This corrected the connection error.

At first I didn't think it was making clips because I was looking for them on my desktop. QTB automatically puts them in your movies folder in your home directory.

Hope this helps

11. StrongGlad macrumors member

Actually, Apple makes a converter for this purpose -- QuickTime Pro (I think it's still $29). I use it all the time to convert the movie clips from my Canon A40 to the iMovie-compatible DV format.

Just open the file in QuickTime (once you've upgraded), and then select "Export..." and pick the DV format.

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

quicktime broadcaster is a great program and works well, its hard to use if you jsut open it. just go to apples site and read the instructions and its easy.

iJon

13. ouketii macrumors regular

i hope apple puts out an update to make imovie use isight recordings