recording audio in the field for podcast

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Cybix, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I'd like to start up a podcast and would like to be able to record audio outdoors (interview people on location)...

my equipment thus far includes a MacBook Pro, iPod nano, iPod mini.

I need a portable means of recording, something small. I dont want to take the MBP onsite all the time as it wont be possible in some areas.

Could I record using one of my iPods? is there a device with good enough quality? Is there a way to record from an external mic to an iPod?

suggestions welcome!

The podcast will be about 'radio models' (like r/c boats, cars, planes, etc)

Thanks, James

2. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

this might help you...

http://loosewire.typepad.com/blog/2004/03/belkins_new_ipo.html

3. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

or this...

http://www.welovemacs.com/ipmire.html

I don't think the recording quality is that great with these things, so you may wind up having to do a little work in GB (EQ and whatnot) to get the final product up to par.

what you might be better off doing is using a decent mic/tape recorder and then converting to digital after the fact. A little more work, but better than carrying around a laptop and probably better quality than what you'd get with an iPod attachment. My understanding is that the iPod stuff is intended for use in lecture halls/classrooms, etc...may not work so great outdoors.

hope this helps

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you don't mention a budget, but following on beatsme's comment, you could do something similar to what a lot of radio reporters use: a handheld broadcast mic and a portable DAT machine.

NPR used the sony d10 for a number of years, maybe you could find one for cheap.

i believe reporters are now switching to non-moving-part recorders, but i don't know which models.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yeah, that tascam unit looks nice. i wonder how it sounds.

if i'm reading the m-audio page right, it looks like it supplies phantom over 1/4". if so, there's a possibility of shorting out the mic. yikes.

6. Cybix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cybix

hrmm, after some more research, it seems there are no devices for ipod mini/nano that meet my requirements.

may need to go some sort of other device! I hope not analog! haha

7. Cybix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cybix

canadaRAM, some great products! just listened to the subway recording on m-audio's site, not bad!!

I'll have to see what i can afford I think, all these products are pretty expensive.

8. almason macrumors newbie

Recording Live Audio

I have the M-Audio Microtrack recorder - works very well - can use as a handheld or use phantom powered mics to record

has a small stereo microphone that works very well for the situation you looking to record

about $400 US

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Don't forget the humble minidisc...

Sony did a range of very small portable recording MD's that turn up on eBay occasionally.

Quality is good considering you'll be converting to MP3 for the 'cast and they have digital outputs to dump to your favorite DAW.

HHB do a lovely pro MD unit http://www.hhb.co.uk/hhb/uk/hhbproducts/portadisc/index.asp

Otherwise we have a pre-pro of the Tascam unit for appro and it's very, very good indeed.

You could always try this: http://www.hhb.co.uk/hhb/uk/hhbproducts/portadrive/index.asp

A snip at £6990!!:eek: