Recording feature found on new iPods!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Flowbee, May 2, 2003.

1. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

The clever guys at iPoding have discovered that the new iPods have a recording feature built-in!

"Well, we couldn't wait so we went to the local Best Buy and picked up a new Gen 2 15GB. It's going to be taken apart soon, but we first ran Diagnostic Mode on it. It has a recording feature! There is also a test for LINEIN that does recording too. We don't have a mic to test with it at the moment but after "recording" when we listen to the headphones we hear the sound of nothing recorded (you know what we mean right?)"

http://www.ipoding.com

[Edit: Could a microphone be the new 'communication device' recently rumored?]

2. thread starter macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Here's a photo:

Attached Files:

3. macrumors newbie

Now THAT'S a reason to sell my old one and buy a new one. Backlit buttons and solitaire just weren't doing it for me. I wonder when this will be official.

4. macrumors regular

wow!

i am getting a new ipod in like an hour...so i will test this out...but if this is true why didnt apple advertise it?

-cody

5. macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

this is cool

25 gigs of music and space left over to record classes or whatever.

Best thing to happen to bootlegs in a long time if the quality is anygood! :D

6. macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    if only i could afford one today...

i deliberately avoided going to SoHo in case i succumbed to temptation, and i can't being doing that!

7. macrumors 6502

Mr.Hey

I'm thinking its because ITS NOT READY ;). Hence the reason why Steve didn't mention it. It will probably be in the next release firmware version. Remember this will violate your Apple Care Warranty and if you f**k it up Apple will tell you to tick it were the sun don't shine.

8. macrumors newbie

wow, if this is true and the iPod will include some decent A/D conversion and record in AIFF then it will be the end of my MiniDisc player. good quality line-in uncompressed recording is what i have been waiting for.

it could be a DAT killer too! i couldn't imagine an easier way to record than with iPod. go to a show, plug in your mics, record, hook it up to your Mac, copy the new file over, do a bit of editing, burn to CD... done!

hopefully this is true! i love my MiniDisc but depending on how Apple does it, a recording iPod could kill. right now with MD, even if you record your own stuff through line-in there is no way to get it back out in digital form unless you buy one of the "pro" decks ($600+) with a digital out on it. pitiful!

iPod with good quality recording = *drool*

9. macrumors newbie

well i'm guessing it's because the external hardware (ie. a LINE-IN JACK) is not there yet. ??? i think it's just in the firmware/OS of the iPod.

10. macrumors newbie

So, the third section of the connector is for something afterall!
    sweet! [​IMG]

edit: and I'm not talking about the little black tab either (that's for the remote). I'm talking about the fact that the plug has three stripes instead of the two we normally see on stereo headphone plugs.

11. macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Really, really cool. I am surprised though, don't you think Steve would have previewed the recording feature last Monday? I mean, he previewed some iTunes 4 stuff at MWNY almost a year ago, so why not this?

12. macrumors 65816

peterjhill

what is the macrumors.com version of slashdotting, because I can't get to the site. Time to check the google cache :D

13. macrumors 68000

neut

now i want one...

this is what I have been waiting for. PDAs have been toteing 24-bit recording as the future (for sound engineers), but who needs another device to get in the way?

An i-pod that records? F*ck Yeah!

Ok, so...

My TiPB can sit in my new Honda Element (hooked up to the audio in) while i record whatever outside (like when we go camping), then i come back in, dump it to the HD, and start mixing?

Wholly ****! I can't wait!!!!!!!

14. macrumors 65816

it's not the third section of the remote...

it's not the third section of the remote that is carrying the Mic in- because just the headphones plugged right into the iPod work "fine" for the recording (fine as in very noisy since they arent a real microphone :) The headphone jack on the headphones only has 2 sections (the ones closest to the tip)...

15. macrumors newbie

I would agree. Is there currently anywhere to plug a microphone into an iPod? Not to sound overly skeptical, but it would also give Apple an accessory to manufacture/sell with the iPod. IMHO for the price, it really should include audio recording capability...

16. macrumors 65816

yzedf

MR'ed

/.'ed

fark'ed

etc etc

17. macrumors newbie

As to where the audio line in could be, remember that there is a new, custom connector on the bottom of the iPod.

Perhaps one of these pins is a audio-in?

18. macrumors regular

Okay, I'm not really familiar with the technical aspects of this so maybe someone can give me a general answer to this question:

About how much space are we looking at a recording taking? Would it be recorded in AIFF, ACC, or what? If it was AIFF it would eat HD space quickly, epically if you were recording a lengthy interview or class lecture.

It would be important to know so I knew if I should get the 10, 15 or even 30 GB version.

19. macrumors 6502

macdong

Re: Recording feature found on new iPods!

Finally.....
    I see the light of my endless MD-recording nightmare...

20. mim
    macrumors 6502

Re: it's not the third section of the remote...

I remember from those dim dark days when I played around with electronics that you could turn any speaker into a microphone by reversing the current through it. I believe the reason that most devices have a seperate line-in is so you don't have to stuff around plugging/unplugging cables. There is no reason the d/a-a/d converters couldn't run through the same socket.

a.

[edit: when I say reversing the current, I'm being a bit dumb. Instead of using current to move the magnet in your speaker around to produce sound, you let the sound move the magnet around to generate current. It's that simple. There is no real difference between the hardware required. You just need an A/D converter to pick up the incomming current. They're cheap as to make/buy too. There's no reason what so ever that this won't be a future feature.]

21. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

do you mean MacSlash
    or...
    /. own apple area?

Macrumors -- MR.com'd
    Slashdot -- /.
    Mac slash -- Mac/

recording device in the iPod... hmmmm

22. macrumors 65816

melchior

through the headphone jack is a mono line in, but there is also apparently a stereo capability in the special connector thing at the bottom..

23. macrumors newbie

The PortalPlayer chip (assuming the architecture has not changed) that Apple is using has the capability to encode all the formats it officially decodes (AIFF,MP3,WMA). Recording can only be supported on the new iPods due to the addition of a ADC (Analogue to Digital Converter) and some reshuffling of the GPIO (General Purpose input/output) pin usage on the PortalPlayer chip.

Anyway with a thirty gig drive, you could store over 3700 minutes of uncompressed CD Audio, or 7400 minutes of compressed lossless audio.

The line in jack IS the headphone plug! "Speak into Left earphone when "BEGIN..." appears" This implies that the headphone jack is wired as a mic jack :) Hopefully its stereo. Someone with a new iPod needs to try this procedure with a mic or two and try different miniplug configurations to see how the port is wired up.

24. macrumors 6502a

jethroted

There is actually 4 parts. You count the metal parts not the plastic ones. Normally there should be two metal parts, and one plastic for a stereo hook up. So this has 2 more than normal. Mic & headphones?

25. macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

You see a third strip because of this. The mini tab is for the remote. Any seasoned Sony CD and MD owner should be familiar w/ the tab.