recording from MiniDV camera to PB. (not capture)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cb911, Oct 17, 2004.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

hi all,

well this is driving me nuts. :mad: all i'm trying to do is record some video from the TV that's playing through my MiniDV camera. i'm not trying to capture from tape, just record what's playing through the camera.

in FCP, it doesn't let you caputre what's playing through because it only wants to capture from tape, and it sits there waiting for the timecode.

does anyone know a way i can get this to record on my Mac? any other app that can do this? or how do i setup FCP so it can do this? there has to be a way...

as of now, i'm recording this stuff on ... my brothers PC using Windows Movie Maker. now, if there isnt' a way to do this on my PowerBook, i'm going to be VERY disappointed! :mad:

i'd really appreciate any help with this, i dont' have a clue how to get this working...

2. nels0360 macrumors member

Some MiniDV camera's make you record to the tape before you can send it to the computer. It may be an option on your camera's menu or you may have to record it to the tape first. I don't think it's an option that can be set in the computer program.

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Yes, you will have to have a look at your cameras settings if you are unable to find it there then you might be stuck :( .

4. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

What camera brand/model are you using?

I want to do this with my Canon MVX25i / Optura 40 ...

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Open your "log and capture" window and under "capture settings" make sure you have "device control" set to "non-controllable device."

Lethal

6. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

thanks LethalWolfe. :D

i'll have to try that when i get a chance. i thought it would be something simple like that, but the 250's were about to start at Phillip Island, so i didn't have time to keep trying things out. :p

aswitcher - i'm using a Panasonic GS400. but that shouldn't matter. i think Lethal's tip will solve it. :)