Recording in Garageband with Amp?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jay42, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I'm planning on recording some guitar tracks in garage band, and I wanted to know if it would be better to just go straight from the guitar to my powerbook, or if I should plug my amp's line out into my powerbook line in? Would this be bad for the computer? Which would sound better?

Also, not sure that this matters, but should I go with a monster guitar to minijack converter or one of those Griffin Cables?

2. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

3. Yebot macrumors 6502

Yebot

Depends what sound you're going for ...

If you like the tone of your amp, I might suggest throwing a microphone on the guitar amp and send the the signal to a breakout box, then to garageband. Of course, this would probably require investing a few extra bucks.

The line-out of your amp probably would allow the guitar signal to pass through the preamp that (I assume) is built into you amp. So, if you want to capture the coloration / distortion of the preamp, use the line-out.

Or you could go direct into the Mac to record an ultra-clean, direct guitar signal. Then you could use some of GB's built-in guitar amp simulators.

You might wanna do some reading in this forums' digital audio section too.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81

4. Jay42 thread starter macrumors 65816

Jay42