Recording Input Volume

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by voodoomailman, Apr 25, 2006.

1. voodoomailman macrumors newbie

I have been having some frustrating problems with my MacBook Pro. I have tried recording with a microphone from the built-in mic input, and I have tried recording with a microphone using an M-Audio FireWire Solo recording interface. With both, the input level is diminished compared to what it should be. It will only peak if I really crank the levels to max and this is not normal. The only way to record anything is to turn everything way up and with this method I get all the hiss that goes along with it. My built-in mic's input level seems normal, but the sound quality is strangely terrible, nothing compared to the quality of the mic on a G4 powerbook. I've tried using different microphones, cables, Logic, Garage Band, and all the other variables I could think of, but nothing seems to fix this problem. Has anyone heard of this happening? Does anyone have any idea what I should do?

Thank you.

2. alexprice macrumors 6502a

Mmm

I don't know...

You are entitled to 90 days free support, call Apple!

3. exeterbohemian macrumors regular

what sorts of microphones have you been using? it sounds like your mics might be running on a passive circuit. as far as i know, the mic input on the macbook pro has no preamp, and i imagine your firewire interface wouldn't have one either. so it sounds like you either need to buy a microphone preamp, or find a powered microphone. this would enable you to record at normal levels, and once calibrated, should also eliminate any semblance of 'hiss'.