recording lecture: iPos or PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by xenicon, Jun 15, 2004.

1. xenicon macrumors newbie

I want to be able to make audio files of an lecture (excerpted) available on a website. I haven't been able to link together what software/hardware I need to make this easy for me and accesssible for everyone else. I'd like to use an iPod for alot of reasons mostly to do with flexibility and mobility.
    On one hand I was thinking of using 3gen 40gb iPod, and iTalk peripheral and then using QuickTime Pro to import and export as MP3 at 160khz ( is that reasonable quality?) That seems pretty straighforward.
    1. Could I record from a soundboard directly using iPod?

Editing:
    Will I be able to edit the file? Let's say the lecture is 35 minutes long but I only want to use 5 minutes will i be able to edit that chunk using QT?
    Or should I use PB and some lesser version of Reason or is there a better audio ( and I will only be editing speeches) application I should use? Shareware? I suppose if I will have to use software anyway I should stick to using pb. And can I hook up to soundboard or is it better to have microphone?
    all recommendations welcome.

2. OziMac macrumors 6502

Apparently Word in Office 2004 has the ability to record lectures so you can fall asleep, I mean, catch up on them later. It uses your Powerbook's built in microphone - probably way easier than using an iPod+iTalk, but who knows until you try...

3. xenicon thread starter macrumors newbie

ok

I especially interested in being able to edit. Plus, have aversion to Microsoft.