Recording Multiple Tracks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Spaceman Spiff, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

Is it possible to record multiple track in Garageband? Like if I had a guitar, a keyboard and some microphones hooked up to the computer, is there any way to get the different instruments to record on different tracks?

Bascially, I want to be able to record a band playing in a studio, but I want each instrument and the vocals on seperate tracks whitout doing each part seperately.

If Garageband does not do this, is there other software that does?

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Garageband will do two tracks at once or a stereo track, but no more than that. There are many systems that will record multiple inputs, ProTools LE with the 002 interface, Logic with any interface, (MOTU 828 is a personal fav), MOTU's own DP4 with interface, there are an number of multi-input boxes from comapnies like RME etc.

It really depends how much you want to pay and what you want to do, on the face of it ProTools woukd be ideal, it's pro stuff but pricey, Logic has a legendary learning curve, but is much better than ProTools for MIDI.

Everyone has their own favourite, and most will do everything the others do.

I suggest is you want to do serious multi-tracking you look at ProTools with the 002 firewire interface. Sadly ProTools only works with the Digidesign hardware, but it is very good stuff.

3. mateo macrumors newbie

I want to refine the post by xcat cause I have the same needs; take userfriendly garageband to do a drum track and a rythmic part (guitar and bass recorded in two shots) THEN plug two guitars in my mobilepre USB (m-audio) wich has two channel and then fire our solos while we hear the playback in our headphones. I can capture them if I select stereo input but cant manipulate them separetely. Can we assign channel 1 to one track and channel 2 to another track and then record those two track at the same time? Mobilepre seem to work fine as it split the sigal if i record just one track at a time (we dont hear the unassignated channel).

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I know this works with the M-box and GB, but I'm not so sure with other interfaces. Ceratinly GB will accept two independant audio inputs, but whether your interface is capable of supporting that is down to the interface.

5. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

You can get Logic Audio Express 7 from apple.
    It will do what you want, and if you are a student you will get a good discount on it. You will need a audio interface as well to get more than two (one stereo track).