Recording my tracks in Garage Band 2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GoCubsGo, Mar 1, 2005.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    I have a few questions. I just got a PowerBook G4 with 512mb ram and a 128mb video card. The rest of the specs are obvious. (15" btw).

I found this accessory Guitar Plug at the It is only $50.

My PowerBook came with iLife 05 I guess. I say that because I opened it up and there is just a piano there. I am unsure how to really utilize it for what I want.

My questions:
    iLife 05 pre-installed, do I need to purhcase some add on program which will allow me to record tracks from my electric guitar to the computer?
    Is the Guitar Plug that I linked up above all I need to do this?

If there is more or less that I need I would be open to all feedback.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    Garageband will allow you to record audio, you don't "need" anything else, but you may find you "want" to buy something more capable after a while.

I'm sceptical about the guitarplug, I don't know if GB will see it as an audio interface, or if it is an impedence matching device which will allow the low guitar signal to be recorded through the USB port.

I know it's cheap, but a device like those from M-audio will be a better prospect, I favour the 410, but it's got a price tag.

If your serious, check out Protools M-box.
  3. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    That makes some sense. My deal is not so much the price, but the idea that I am still learning how to play and devoting so much money to something that I may not fully utilize right away seems silly. We can argue that it will be money well spent in the future, but for something like this, buying more than I need is unlike me.

I will check out the m-box and check to see whether or not I can return the guitar plug if I hate it.

Thanks for your input.
  4. accountservices macrumors newbie

Dec 20, 2007