Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ioncanada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Hi folks, this is my first post.
We are trying to record our drum parts in Logic 8.
We have Roland V-drums (TD12) and are using the Firebox to go midi.
Everything was fine, we had a drum kit plugged in to a software instrument channel.
We use one midi cable from Vdrums out to Firebox midi in/thru.
And another from Vdrums in to Firebox out.

We started palying the drums, and everything sounded great, except for the hi-hats. They were either completely silent, or you could only hear the sound when you closed with the hi-hat pedal, or beat like crap on the hi-hat itself.
There was no sound on the tapping of the hi-hat, or when you open and closed and tried to double tap etc.
However, when you listen to the v-drums through the headphones at the brain end, everything sounded fine, except it was the Vdrums brain you heard, not the plug in from Logic.

We tried adjusting the sensitivity of the hi-hat but to no avail.
Also, when I use my midi keyboard, or synth, I can play and record the drums just fine.

Anyone have a fix for this lol

thanks
Paul

bretcvan

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2009
v drums logic 8

Hi, let me know if you have had success with using your v drums when recording midi tracks in logic 8. I'm considering buying a set of v drums for the exact purpose you stated. But my concern is the hi-hat because it seems like you would be able to trigger open and closed but wouldn't get the in between sounds like you do from the drum brain. I suppose you could record an audio track with the drum brain as the sound source, but then you wouldn't get the added convenience of being able to edit the track in the piano roll. So let me know if you've had success. Thanks
-Bret

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Bret, what V-Drum set are you planning to buy?

I use an HD-1 (the cheapest set) and on the Yahama forums people were complaining about the drums having a MIDI bug where the hi-hat close never registered. So if you played a software instrument, the hi-hat would always stay open even if your foot was on the pedal

I'm guessing they fixed the bug because when I bought my set in 08, I never ran into this issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.